Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
At least one of those SVDs is not yours.
One of my handguns was recalled by seller “to correct import issues”. Few weeks later I got an e-mail stating that import problem was fixed and my gun was destroyed

·
Registered
589 Posts
As a father who has had three sons deployed to the Middle East over the last three years, I say good riddence. If it means that more of our soldiers get to come home safely, then it is not hard to take at all. With all the corruption of the area, it is easy to see that any weapons not destroyed would just wind up in the hands of the insurgents again.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,573 Posts
The SVDs could be war trophys our guys have earned just like they earned in WW1, WW2, Korea and Viet Nam. They could have been sold legally in the US to help finance the war. They could have been issued to the new Iraqi security forces or the new Iraqi army instead of our tax money being used to buy Romacs to replace them. At least the scopes could have been saved but they too were destroyed. These guns were already captured by the good guys. Their destruction will not make our troops more safe. It is political correct BS that is wasteful and nonsensical. It is costing the US taxpayers and the new Iraqi government money. It is gun control instead of controlling who owns the guns, just like the US gun control policy. JMHO.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Why does it always seem that whenever our government does something its right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. These pics are a perfect example. One hand is buying Romy AK's to outfit the Iraqis while the other is destroying AK's. Imagine just how much money we are pissing away like this every day in so many ways. I don't mind doing what needs to be done and paying my fair share to fund it through taxes, but for heaven's sake why can't we opperate smarter than this!

·
Registered
105 Posts
More Money to Bushie's Buddys

Why are US troops destroying good AKs and then going out and buying new AKs for the Iraqi Army? I also agree that our guys and gals should be abel to take home war trophies. Heck, why not let them DEWALT AKs and bring em home??
I did her a story form a guy who was a sargent when 9/11 happened and is a LT now saying that most of guys in his unit were carrying at least on captured pistol and a couple guys were using Drags and PSLs against there former userers.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Why does it always seem that whenever our government does something its right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. These pics are a perfect example. One hand is buying Romy AK's to outfit the Iraqis while the other is destroying AK's. Imagine just how much money we are pissing away like this every day in so many ways. I don't mind doing what needs to be done and paying my fair share to fund it through taxes, but for heaven's sake why can't we opperate smarter than this!
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The SVDs could be war trophys our guys have earned just like they earned in WW1, WW2, Korea and Viet Nam. They could have been sold legally in the US to help finance the war. They could have been issued to the new Iraqi security forces or the new Iraqi army instead of our tax money being used to buy Romacs to replace them. At least the scopes could have been saved but they too were destroyed. These guns were already captured by the good guys. Their destruction will not make our troops more safe. It is political correct BS that is wasteful and nonsensical. It is costing the US taxpayers and the new Iraqi government money. It is gun control instead of controlling who owns the guns, just like the US gun control policy. JMHO.

I could not agree more.

·
Silver Bullet member
333 Posts
You are absolutely right Mike, instead of wasting those rifles in this manner they could be put to good use for our country instead. :mad:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I see the logic in that statement....

IF

the two were happening at the same time. However I'm sure the Marines weren't expecting to still be in Iraq in 2007 when those AK's were destroyed during the initial invasion phase...this particular event happened on 4th April, 2003. That's just the way they took care of every arsenal they came across. I'm sure if you were to ask any one of them that they could possibly be on their 3rd tour in 2007, they would have laughed at ya.

The buildings in the background was the arsenal. The AMTRAC's ran over them first.....

then the BBQ began

I can post more pics of the carnage if needed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You must remember the US has destroyed millions of surplus military rifles here in the states. At great Lakes, I witnessed 100's of 03's, 03A1's being dismanteled and dumped in Lake Michigan. Many were unissued new rifles, not to mention M1's and Browning Automatic Rifles. It was a pathetic sight at best!
Subvet

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
I see the logic in that statement....

IF

the two were happening at the same time.
I follow you, to a degree.... BUT....Surely somebody in our Government should have understood that the future Iraqi Army would need something to use as weapons, and would have made provisions for collecting of same when encountered. Of course maybe that is indicative of many problems we have faced there.

I certainly realize that not every situation lends itself to salvage of captured weaponry, and don't know the full "sitch" on events in these pics, but as a whole....when compared to say the Nazi Era German Army we seem to waste a lot of captured weaponry as a policy. Individual soldiers of course will always outfit themselves with extra weapons from captured supplies when available. As the line from the movie goes.... "I don't want to get killed for lack of shootin back"

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If you note in last 2 photos smoke is starting to rise from the arsenal building itself....

"Scorched Earth" policy...

Marines new the ultimate goal was Baghdad....Once they continued North they did not want to leave any small arms for the guerillas/Feydayeen.

Ultimately, you know that this action was only taken by direct order from whatever officer was in charge.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A few things:

First, I'd wager that picture was from mid-2003.

Second, many AKs were warehoused and later re-issued to ING and IP forces. Many, however, were in such a sad state that they didn't warrant being re-issued. I know a few that my unit wound up with for "training purposes" (read fun) were some pretty sad examples with missing parts, corrosion, and spotty performance. The type 56 I got to play with exhibited some of the worst trigger slap I've ever felt. We "acquired" a tabuk AKM as a truck gun, and though it didn't hurt to shoot, it rarely made it through a magazine without a mishap, and definately wasn't in any condition to re-issue as a first line defense weapon.

As far as the Dragunov, Al-Kaideshe (sp?), PSL as war trophys are concerned, I concur. Soldiers should be allowed to take home low cap semi autos as war trophys. Hell, I think they should be able to bring back AKMs as well, and allowed to register one per tour tax free with the BATFE, but I ain't king so it's not going to happen. Concerning the whole import / funding thing, the military isn't into the import and profit game. It would be nice if they just allowed an importer to contract it out over there, but the focus has always been elsewhere, and will continue to be. We see treasures we'd love to fill our safes with, they see obsolete equipment that is of no use to them in theater.

Saleen

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another intresting thing in these pics are a cople of Enfield rifles....

Thanks for the opinions.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/Still/2004/Marines/DM-SD-04-04458.JPG

Hi-Res 56K Beware
http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/Still/2004/Marines/DM-SD-04-04458.JPEG

Saleen, the pic of the captured SVD/PSL's was in April 2003 as well

Captured Fedayeen weapons cache containing hundreds of Russian Dragunov automatic rifles, outside of Jaman Al Juburi, Iraq during Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. (Released to Public)

DoD photo by: GYSGT ERIK S. HANSEN, USMC Date Shot: 6 Apr 2003

http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/Still/2004/Marines/DM-SD-04-06979.JPEG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts