Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I get it !! You ask a question and get rebuked for "Chit-Chat" , whatever that is ?? Personally, I consider all these sites, "Chit-Chat " forums. We sit at our computers and Chit Chat over miscelaneous crap we've collected and share ideas / information. I've never been in the military , so I don't understand the purpose of picking on someone for talking out of turn, or asking a question that isn't a "Good " question, especially at my age,71, and after my life as a Executive Director, where I solicited opinions from my subordinates to make for a better product and work environment !! I always thought a question was a question , as in a request for information but evidently, there are rules and regulations, unknown to people like me, ,that catagorize when and where you can ask certain types of questions , so in the interest of keeping from having my face slapped publically again after donating money and posting over 2200 comments, I will no longer post any "Questions", opinions or anything else here on Gunboards. Goodbye, BB

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,758 Posts
I know that I have raised a few hairs myself and received quite a few negative comments for my opinions (hell a few people have banned me) but I try to always keep in mind that people wake up on the wrong side of the bed including myself.

BUT...IMO this forum, negative or positive comments has got to be the best on the web.

People forgive and forget with in a week or so (I hope) so do not get too frustrated and remember the written word can often get mis-read.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
I got spanked once for comments on the trader. I thought it was stupid but I got over it. This is a great place to learn and see new things. If I didn't frequent here I wouldn't own half of what I have. Come back BB your knowledge is more than welcome.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
There is a good reason for the "no comment" rule on the trader; some folks just can't resist commenting on other folks sales- and their comments are often mis-informed; so they screw up the sale.

It's all in the rules, but I know lots of people don't read the rules.

·
Administrator
3,157 Posts
Ok, I get it !! You ask a question and get rebuked for "Chit-Chat" , whatever that is ?? ...
On the forums you need participation (too many people just sit back and lurk), however, the only time that chit-chat occurs is when somebody comments in a WTS area. If you don't understand that aspect, then not sure what to tell you. As a moderator you have to try and keep the rules, because when we don't watch and 'rebuke' folks for not following the rules, the WTS gets crazy. Trust me, and it screws up a sale as said above. I have seen it done on purpose and I have seen it just because someone can't read or follow the rules.

IT IS THE ONLY PART OF THE FORUM WHERE YOU WILL SEE CHIT-CHAT ENFORCED. Not sure why that would cause someone to quit the forum?

The rules are at the top of the page, there for everyone to read, have been since the forum came open.

·
Silver Bullet Member
678 Posts
Bloody good forum!!! A heap of good Mates, and a wealth of knowledge!!! So what the hell, get over it GUNBB, as one will always be the poorer without this forum.

My collecting would certainly be poorer without this forum and I'm certain this will be the same for most people.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I hope you would reconsider and it would be a shame to lose you. I've always gained a wealth of knowledge on both the Japanese and German sites and found most of the members accommodating and polite. We all have bad days. I wish you luck.

·
Gold Bullet member
297 Posts
I have sold a few small things here in the WTS forum in the past and 99% of the time it went good until one time I had a couple of jerks and not new members either ruin it by one saying it was too much money for what I was selling and another one comment that he had the same thing for sale and for less and to contact him to buy from him. The Moderators missed that one but I was well with it and deleted the thread and put the items later up for sale after the hot air died down. In my opinion that is the kind of Chit- Chat that does warrant warnings and infractions and up to bans when people mess up others sales.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Cmon, you've been a member since 2008! I didn't even own a milsurp gun in 2008. I've made some stupid comments on a few threads and got corrected. Your knowledge and wisdom are what is needed on forums like this. When the knowledge you have is gone, its hard to replace and may never be at the same level it is now. Please continue to share the knowledge you possess so that others may benefit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mister GUNBB,

Dear Mr. GUNBB,Sir,I have often found your comments and observations to be worth a read.You are a plus to this 'chit/chat', thank you for your past participation, come back after your wounds heal!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
I may get spanked for the joke I posted yesterday on the trader about the T-99 mag that was sold to Big Ed but, if so, I deserve it. The Trader is not the place for that. I was at the shoot and, of course we were drinking the evening before I posted that joke. I just couldn't resist the temptation ;) I've left the forum in a huff before but came back. It is the best place there is to discuss these interesting weapons. So, BB you should reconsider and just come back once the spanking welts have healed like I did.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I read this forum almost daily. I do not collect Japanese items but my son does so I try to keep a "working knowedge" about these collectables. However, I have long felt that some of the established members speak very harshly to new comers to the board who ask reasonable questions for someone who maybe has inherited a Japanese item and wants to know a little about it. One of the frequent replies to these new people is "Buy a book"! I feel that if you can't give the person a reasonable answer to the question, just keep quiet.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Garnet, A "newby" question should be answered politely, but if he keeps asking questions, appears he might collect more than one or two items, then the "buy the book" comment is reasonable and will be helpful to him in the long run. Trenchfoots, "Spend Your first thousand dollars on reference material." is right on. Doss

·
Gold Bullet member
6,189 Posts
+++1, "buy a reference book" is very important advice. Studying a hobby is not only asking people but proactive research all combined, and you can't beat reading reference books to fathom the details. Any true collector should understand that.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,953 Posts
I read this forum almost daily. I do not collect Japanese items but my son does so I try to keep a "working knowedge" about these collectables. However, I have long felt that some of the established members speak very harshly to new comers to the board who ask reasonable questions for someone who maybe has inherited a Japanese item and wants to know a little about it. One of the frequent replies to these new people is "Buy a book"! I feel that if you can't give the person a reasonable answer to the question, just keep quiet.
+1

I almost always try to answer anyone's questions they ask on French Firearms if I know the answer to it, if I do not know I let someone else answer them.
I even do this at the gunstore I work at, if I am asked something I do not know the answer to I get someone who does know the answer to it and let them explain it.
Books are a good reference but they can go out of date very rapidly especially nowadays with the internet and boards like this one, things pop up that have never been known before and is newer information that we never had before.
Example ... Siamese Mausers ...Frank has got a bunch of information that we never knew before and is not in the original book on this subject but has been posted here on this board.
Do not get me wrong, books are good to get but some people just can not afford to purchase them as some do run expensive and in this economic times it can mean bread on the table or no bread on it. Boards like this are free and it can easier to ask their questions than buy a book.
What I do is copy and paste my top asked questions as replies from my lap top in a document I keep on the subject, it make typing a lot simpler.

IMO ... we need to help the new collectors, shooters, etc. along in the hobby as best as we can, they are our future, they are going to be the ones who carry on where we have left off, if we treat them right and get them the help they need they will learn, buy the books, etc. to carry on. If you treat them like crap, why would they want to learn anything from those ____ and not want to carry on the hobby.

Patrick

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.