Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Guys & probably girls too.

I have found an FR8 down here in Australia (finally) and I have a few questions to ask , So I hope you all can help me out a bit.

Firstly were these ever Parkerised and if so during what period?
2nd . Is it possible to tell the age of the gun by the serial No. ?
3rd . How reliable are these and what should I look at for problems.

The Gun is owned by a 75 yr old fellow who has owned it for about 10 yrs and claims to have fired it once (his wife is frightened of guns so wont let him use them) .

This is only the second FR8 I've seen for sale down here , So this means that either they are too good to let go and so nobody sells them or their complete crap and no-one wants them , BUT I like the lok of them so I thought I'd come here and ask you because I normally collect Lee- Enfields but this looks nice too...

cheers Pugs.....

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,641 Posts
Yes many (Most) were parkerized.. I've had two of them and both were!

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,641 Posts
I think the original finish may bve been parkerizing. Or at least the rearsenal finsh was. These were made up out of Spanish M43 rifles (98 mauser type) There should be a date on the barrel shank or receiver.... the gun is a mauser derivative, it should be exceedingly reliable.. it's basically a mauser carbine in 7.62x51

No problems specifically to my knowlege... just sifficult to remember what aperture is for a given range.. you spin the aperture wheel in the rear sight left or right to get the correct range......

No worries Mate! Buy it you'll enjoy it!

G'day Guys & probably girls too.

I have found an FR8 down here in Australia (finally) and I have a few questions to ask , So I hope you all can help me out a bit.

Firstly were these ever Parkerised and if so during what period?
2nd . Is it possible to tell the age of the gun by the serial No. ?
3rd . How reliable are these and what should I look at for problems.

The Gun is owned by a 75 yr old fellow who has owned it for about 10 yrs and claims to have fired it once (his wife is frightened of guns so wont let him use them) .

This is only the second FR8 I've seen for sale down here , So this means that either they are too good to let go and so nobody sells them or their complete crap and no-one wants them , BUT I like the lok of them so I thought I'd come here and ask you because I normally collect Lee- Enfields but this looks nice too...

cheers Pugs.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
as long as it is in fact an FR-8 you are good to go on all accounts. as stated, its a Mauser, so you won't have to worry about function or safety there.

The FR-7's on the oher hand were designed with a weaker bolt/receiver and it is fairly well accepted that they should not shoot most factory 308 because of the higher pressures.

Original finish was parkerizing. I think most of the rifles are 50's production, possibly 60's, but I do believe they are dated somewhere.

Very cool looking carbines for sure. I'll be adding one to my collection next on the list. Very accurate for carbines, handle well, and very neat that they are the Cetme "training rifle"

·
Registered
320 Posts
One note of warning! When you operate the bolt, be sure to only do it with an Open Hand method (or exercise caution) ... if you grab the bolt handle to open the bolt the rear sight may guillotine your thumb.

I think that most of us FR8 owners have a scar in the same location on our right thumbs ... actually, I just looked and my scar has faded away over the intervening 5+ years ... ;)

Great little "brush" rifle, though.

IIRC, the date is stamped on the receiver ring and all that I have ever seen have sported a phosphate finish.

Kim

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
One note of warning! When you operate the bolt, be sure to only do it with an Open Hand method (or exercise caution) ... if you grab the bolt handle to open the bolt the rear sight may guillotine your thumb.

I think that most of us FR8 owners have a scar in the same location on our right thumbs ... actually, I just looked and my scar has faded away over the intervening 5+ years ... ;)
Wise words - my scar's still noticable. But oh how we learn quick. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One FR8 on its way to MEEE

G'day Guys.
Thanks for all the info , its very reassuring to know its not a dud .
I spoke to the gun shop where the old boy has left it and they told me the bore is "mint to better and the park is 95% to better cond"
So its on its way to my dealer for the transfer It may take a few weeks to get it home due to our draconian gun laws but I'll post some pics when it does.

Thanks guys
Pugs...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are allowed to own any cal up to but not above 50cal.
There is pretty much a total ban on semi's of any cal inc the little .22 and pump shottys of any cal , For now lever action shotguns are allowed that is unless the treehuggers get their way.
For now I'm just waiting for the post...

pugs

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Pugs, you will enjoy the FR8. It is a quick handling carbine. A Cetme bayonet should fit just dandy on it if you can find one. (that is unless the latch cover has been replaced/neutered)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up Bill , There are a few on Eprey that claim to fit the FR8 but not knowing to much about them I'll do some more investigating to make sure they're legit as its a bit far to send it back from Aust..
cheers
pugs..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts