Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ikea Asks Uniformed Police Chief to Put Gun in Car or Leavehttp://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...-Uniformed-Officer-To-Put-Gun-In-Car-Or-Leave

On July 4 a uniformed police officer entered a Washington state Ikea store and was told to go lock his gun in the squad car or "leave." The officer carrying the gun was Tacoma Park Police Chief Alan Goldberg. He was in uniform "because he had worked that morning at the city's July 4 parade, and would be back on duty that night for fireworks."
He was trying to help his daughter find furniture for her apartment in between shifts.
According to NBC Washington News 4, Goldberg was approached by a "loss-prevention officer" who said: "We have a no firearms policy, and you're either going to have to leave or you can lock your gun in the car."
The store had "Weapons Free Environment" signs on its front doors, and Goldberg demanded to see written policy to prove the ban applied to police. Ikea did not provide written policy.
Ikea issued an apology on July 7 after News 4 contacted them seeking clarification on their "weapons free" policy. ...

*Really? A uniformed Police Officer!
There is only one way to combat this ever growing list. Every gun owner and 2A supporter needs to carry some of the business cards previously suggested and/or printed
stating that they will be happy to take their gun and their WALLET elsewhere! Until these retail establishments realize the amount of money they are losing, they will just continue pandering to the anti-gun crowd. Unless they become aware of why YOU won't be shopping there and spending your money there anymore, they have no idea. When enough folks start halting at the front door, in front of the "no guns" sign and demanding to see the manager, then handing him one of these cards, there may be a sudden revelation. No need to confront or argue, just get the point across.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Ohioans for Concealed Carry have a business card you can print off and hand to businesses with "Firearms Free Zones". My grandfather carries a business card wallet full of them and hands them out.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
What applies to one should apply to ALL - LE included.

Exactly, every person legally allowed to carry should be allowed and that definitely includes LE. The business should be sued into bankruptcy. To disallow LE from carry is beyond reason and comprehension and possibly a violation of law. If a violation of law, the CEO should be jailed IMO.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,624 Posts
The article wasn't at all clear about the fact that the Ikea higher ups told their in-store Barny Fife that there is no firearms carry prohibition for LEO's.

What annoys me is the fact that Ikea and others of their flawed mindset think that it's ok tof the PD to carry, since their job is to 'protect the public', BUT the public isn't justified in protectimg themselves.

I watched an Ikea being built - it's on my route to work. It's a big, solid and nice looking store, and someone said that they have a really good restaurant inside. It has been open over 5 years now, and I've yet to set foot inside.

There IS an indoor range across the parking lot from Ikea, and I've been to their gunshop a buncha' times.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
That could never happen as the criminals would have read the sign stating it was a "Gun Free Zone" prior to entering the store and then simply turned around and left..........just to impart their ill intent somewhere else that is more gun friendly towards their potential victims.

Don't you know anything?

Dale
Evidently not. Thanks for clearing that up for me!;)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
By the nature of his profession, the LE had every right to carry his firearm in the store. Had I been that cop, I'd have found a reason to hassle that security guard, and the manager of the store. I'd bend the mayor's ear, and I'm sure that place would be under close scrutiny from the code enforcer, L&I etc after that....And maybe the next time they get robbed, the police can take their good old time showing up to investigate.

Wrong to ask anyone to leave the store but moreso when your public officials in plain uniform are asked to do so as well.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
What applies to one should apply to ALL - LE included.
There's a saying, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander
so... meh, couldn't happen to a nicer place?
By the nature of his profession, the LE had every right to carry his firearm in the store. Had I been that cop, I'd have found a reason to hassle that security guard, and the manager of the store. I'd bend the mayor's ear, and I'm sure that place would be under close scrutiny from the code enforcer, L&I etc after that....And maybe the next time they get robbed, the police can take their good old time showing up to investigate.

Wrong to ask anyone to leave the store but moreso when your public officials in plain uniform are asked to do so as well.
ONLY while ON THE JOB doing statute duties...
(now the fine print - he could conceal carry, and it's their right to ask him to leave - due to LEOSA - which is federal)

·
Copper Bullet Member
5,987 Posts
My first thought was that it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. First customer shot by a thug who, oddly enough, did not comply with their policy, could end up owning the store. That is another bit that the Swedes are not aware of: our litigious society. Welcome to Tort law!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
OK, interesting comments when these situations present..... My feeling - do business where you want to do business. If you want what Walmart has, shop at Walmart, if IKEA has something you need, go there. Total black listing for a companies blanket policy is not too wise. How many members here have bank accounts ? Have you stopped using them because you cannot carry ( open or concealed ) in your local branch ??? I doubt it. I own a business or three in the Greenvills SC area, and am generally known as very gun friendly, but am always watching for patrons wanting to pull out their weapons to show / discuss / compare with other patrons. I fully understand when large companies take a position, whether they agree with it or not. Liability is a huge issue, and, while you and I may be the most responsible of gun owners, there is always Bubba and his kin, who are not so wise, and ruin things for the majority. We really have to understand the times.

So, all that said, How many of you are cancelling your bank accounts today ??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.