Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my first purchase of a 84/98 resulted in my actually purchasing a poor quality fake, I have decided to step back and give the matter some thought before again making any purchases. Given my ignorance of the 84/98 pattern, I would like to try to educate myself at least as regards the basics so that if another opportunity arises, I will be able to make a more informed decision. At this time I do not anticipate ever having a large collection of bayonets. I would basically like to have a good example of a German 84/97 that would be correct for my rifle. Given that my wife put my earlier batch of bayonet pictures up along with the rifle, I suppose everyone has already seen more than enough of it. It is Luftwaffe marked. Is there a bayonet that would be correct for this rifle? Would any manufacturer/year be correct? I will be appreciative of comments/suggestions. Sincerely. Bruce.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
It's pretty much mix-and-match, any bayonet and rifle might've been re-issued together at some point in the war. Your two basic version of K98 bayonet are the 84/98s with ribbed bakelite grips, and late war with smooth wooden grips. Both wood and bakelite come in various shades. Average retail market value of a 84/98 is $100.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. Given that the rifle is pre-war and Luftwaffe marked, I wanted to determine if that would have any consequence regarding markings would reasonably be expected of a bayonet paired with such a rifle. Once I've gotten a half-way decent grasp of the 84/98, then I suppose it will be time to go shopping. Sincerely. Bruce.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
If you're not interested in investing enough time or money to become an expert in bayonets but want to make sure you get an authentic bayonet for your rifle, I'd recommend you find a trustworthy dealer on the internet to buy from. You won't get to fondle the hardware and the price won't ever be a steal, but you'd be paying for their expertise in identifying fakes as well as for an authentic bayonet.

It's really too bad that it's come to this in arms collecting. I stay away from perfect or rare rifles and bayonets because the money lost picking up a fake would ruin the enjoyment of collecting. Fortunately there're enough white-bread common rifles and bayonets out there to keep me buying the rest of my life...

·
Registered
832 Posts
I gotta share the "ignorance" too, I chimed right in about how it LOOKED like the real one my dad got for me when I was a kid back in the 80s. That, and it seemed ok, being an antique store. Around here, you can usually score anything military for a decent price because there aren't many people like me around this town.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bruce if you take your time and keep looking you can find good deals there are plenty of 84/98 bayonets out there. You have also learned some of what to look for the hard way but even the experts get fooled, the hunt for the piece you want is half of the fun. It took me 2 years to find a bayonet I liked for my BYF43 98k but one day I went into a junk shop here in town and there it was a beautiful 1944 dated all matching bayonet for $35. I guess what im trying to say is don’t give up research every web site or book you can and keep searching for that special bayonet.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
please know you are not alone , we all started somewhere , and i was a real "in-the-dark" buyer , i did as sugested and found an internet dealer i trusted to get the two i thought i wanted[needed] my interest and knowledge grew and i have lots now , but i also have books that referance what im buying -

if you only want one - email me ioll give you three names i trust , if you get into buying and collecting buy the referances it pays back in a very short time ,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.