Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to everybody , IF you must have only ONE Revolver what Revolver would you buy ?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
A 4" .357 like the Ruger GP100 or the S&W 586 or 686, preferably in stainless steel. I have a Ruger Security 6 I bought in 1980 that I'm fond of.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well a Dan Wesson Pistol Pack would be awesome but just one I would have to stick with my S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,586 Posts
Several good manufacturers of revolvers, so I don't think you could go wrong with any name brand. But I would definitely recommend a .357 simply because of the option of shooting .38's. Plus, and I may be mistaken here, but with moon clips you can shoot 9mm too.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'd make sure I would NEVER be caught in a situation were only one handgun was available!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Several good manufacturers of revolvers, so I don't think you could go wrong with any name brand. But I would definitely recommend a .357 simply because of the option of shooting .38's. Plus, and I may be mistaken here, but with moon clips you can shoot 9mm too.
Not usually. Special cylinder needed for 9mm.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If (big if) I could only keep one revolver of the dozen or so I have, it would be a snub nose 44. Either my 3-inch 629, 3-inch 624, or most likely, the 2.5-inch fixed sight 629-6.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ruger GP-100. Easy to train with (38 Special) and very controllable in real (357 Magnum) use. Great grips, good ergonomics.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,102 Posts
I have a 1964 Ruger Bearcat in .22lr. It is a pain in the butt to load and unload/clear. It is single action only. It has a 4" barrel, so it isn't highly concealable. And it is grossly underpowered in a gun fight.

It is accurate as all get out, and I can hit the pie plate at 100 feet with consistency. But still, there are far more versatile revolvers out there.

And still more, it is the only one I would keep out of dozens. My dad passed it on to me when he died. So, it is staying in the family.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Mine? A Ruger Speed Six stainless .357 with a 2-3/4" barrel... I have other revolvers and pistols, but that is my "if only one" revolver.

Yours? I'd take a look at a GP100, or a used Ruger or Smith and Wesson and see what you think.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My Model 625 Smith, 5 inch bbl in .45acp, s/s. Second choice would be my s/s Colt Anaconda .45lc but with a 4 inch bbl.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ruger Redhawk stainless 4 inch bbl. in 45colt/45 acp. Take your choice. From 45 colt bear loads to 45 acp ball.

·
Registered
378 Posts
IMG_20190826_190238526_2.jpg I have found this 686+ with Crimson Trace grips to be very handy. One more round that hasn't been mention is snake or bird shot. My kids tracked a raccoon that had just killed and dragged off one of there chickens to a tree. I was able to knock him out of the tree with one of these and not worry about a slug hitting someone a mile away and with the laser it was very easy to get in a couple of 38's in him before he could get to cover.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
"Revolver", huh? Tonight, very late. Actually very early as just getting off chat with friend/colleague in location many time zones away. Feeling my typical such hour 'judgment impaired', humor setting in.

Category of "Walk softly and carry a big stick." Theodore Roosevelt, "Aka Teddy speak!" Below, perhaps my 'fantasy seven chamber revolver'. Admittedly impractical. Such as ammo 'pricey' and something like seven rounds reflecting chambers, in about 0.06 seconds. Just under four thousand rounds per minute. Big, bulky, weighty, difficult to control during firing. Not CCW compatible. Pesky plethora of govt licenses/permits likely required. Not to mention nitpicking rangemasters complaints! All such said, more than well 'living up to its name "Avenger". IN 30mm Cannon... Hellishly so! And just suggesting the intimidation factor alone... Without even so much as few thousand rounds 'touched off'... My kind of 'peacekeeper'!

Without further adieu, happy goodnight and to return tomorrow with Post in more realistic vein...
Best
John

Attachments

1 - 20 of 102 Posts