Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have been thinking about the charactoristics of the rifles of the various countries, or major participants of WWII. What would be your choice of weapons if you were made to go fight somewhere using only a WWII era bolt-action rifle (no scopes)? I have thought about this and comared the atributes of the various rifles of WWII.

While I have handled military weapons of WWII all my life, firing many, many times during my 53 years of living, Enfields, Japanese, German, U.S., and Russian rifles. And I have owned several Mosen-Nagants (91/30s and carbines), a couple of Enfields, several K98 Mausers, and only two Japanese T99 Shortrifles, etc.. But of all those weapons to me the most fun and and good feeling and easy to shoot and work of them all is the Japanese Arisaka Type 7.7 Short Rifle. It is light, short, slim and not bulky, versatile, easily manouverable, I like its sights, etc..

While the others are excellent and accurant rifles, some more accurate too, and to me the Mosen-Nagant is the best feeling "aimer" due to the comb of the stock, they are somewhat heavier, longer, and bulkier than the Japanese T99. I don't like a heavy, bulky rifle and some of the others' sights I don't like. I have fallen in love with the good ol' T99! So if I had to go fight somewhere and was allowed only a WWII era bolt action rifle of my choice (no scopes), it would definately be the Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Short Rifle! And you know what else, it seems to me that even the Japanese uniforms, at least the tropical versions, and equipment seems much more simple, lightweight and all than other countries of WWII. What do y'all think? What would be your choice if you were made to go fight somewhere using your choice of WWII era boltaction rifles with no scopes allowed? Just curious as to what others might like or choose.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I DO LOVE MY ARISAKS's...BUT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO STICK WITH THE GOOD OLE' U.S.A. 03A3...AFTER ALL, IT HELPED WIN THE WAR..

MERRY CHRISTMAS
ANDY

·
Registered
961 Posts
I feel the late war, no frills T-99 is a very good battle rifle. Light weight, a basic, quick to make rifle with no unneeded parts, a good power cartridge . While the big peep sight is not the best for pure target work, it is a very good battle sight . Our shooting club does a lot off different matches with military rifles. The T-99 is a top scoring rifle in a few. It is never a top scorer when shot from the bench for pure accuracy at a bullseye target, but it is a top scorer in the offhand shooting at a full size man target . We also have a speed match were you shoot at 12inch square plates offhand, The T-99 is a top scorer in that match, the sight is quick to pick up the target and accurate enough for a plate at 100 yards, quick to operate and reload. After running over 10 years worth of different type matches for military rifles, certain types do show what they are good at. mag

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Tough call. I'd go for a Type 99 Arisaka or a M1903a3 Springfield myself. I most definitely wouldn't want to have been issued a Mosin-Nagant and sent into harms way, that is for sure, even if I do enjoy shooting and collecting them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2nd choice would be the Enfield #4 Mk 1. As you said, it is also a great, short, and handy rifle with a 10 round mag. While the O3 is reputed to be one of the most accurate of the bolt action rifles, I don't like that tall lonely front sight sticking up. Just me I reckon. I still choose the Arisaka.

Now if we are talking about semi autos of WWII, I would choose that German assault rifle that shot the 8mm kurz. I foget what it was called, the Stg43 was it?
Dave

·
Gold Bullet member
11,673 Posts
Enfield No4. 10-rd magazine (which could be quickly reloaded with other loaded mags if need be, despite not being intended for that method), aperture sight, quick action, not overly long.

IMHO, the No4 is every bit as accurate as any Russian Mosin or K98, and probably most Arisakas. The 03A3 is accurate and I love the sights, but the No4's magazine sways it for me.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
I have oft en thought about this. My preference would be the late T99 short without the frills of pod and AA sights. It is light, handy and durable. riceone

·
Registered
699 Posts
My 2nd choice would be the Enfield #4 Mk 1. As you said, it is also a great, short, and handy rifle with a 10 round mag. While the O3 is reputed to be one of the most accurate of the bolt action rifles, I don't like that tall lonely front sight sticking up. Just me I reckon. I still choose the Arisaka.

Now if we are talking about semi autos of WWII, I would choose that German assault rifle that shot the 8mm kurz. I foget what it was called, the Stg43 was it?
Dave
Well, the StG.44/MP-44/StG-43 (same weapon, different names), was capable of full auto. It's definitely one of my holy grails.

The G.43 (a completely different weapon) was semi-auto only.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
semi autos are a different breed, but the G43 is a lost cause all together for a fighting rifle. the floating zero and sabotaged parts made this rifle a short run. while the garand is nice, its only an 8 round clip. a BM-59 would be a great semi-auto to go fight with.

bolt action, no brainer....and enfield #4 is your best bet.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
I can't believe I'm not seeing any Mausers on here. Well, I too would probably go for the NO.4 Mk1 Enfield or maybe a Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagant.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
First choice would be k98....I love the #4 Enfields...but they are a bit more touchy when it comes to dirt infiltration in the small bolt parts. They will stop before a k98 in a dirty enviroment.

I would also consider a T-38 Carbine...light, short, & low recoil for lots of shooting with little discomfort,

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
No question, a 70/87/15 Vetterli. If it didn't kill the enemy on the first shot it probably killed you.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
T99 & T38 carbines are my favorite. I haven't shot any of the French bolt actions and only a few of the K98ks, Enfeilds and Mosins. I would like to test out a M1917!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts