Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Platinum Bullet member
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collecting this stuff goes hand in hand with my lifelong love of history. We look at these weapons & relics of war and wonder what they've been through. I like the "rifle pile" damage some rifles have & documented battle damage.
On this rifle, everytime I get it down to wipe & RIG it, I wonder how the hell did it survive all this time in this condition? It does have a few rust spots on it and a little tarnish to the bolt, but other than that it's in nearly new condition. There isn't even any bayonet wear to the muzzle. And it was probably made before WW1.
I have to post this rifle now & then to annoy Jareth & make Edokko drool ;)

· Registered
378 Posts
All the nice high condition mint rifles have no story to tell, they sat in storage untill some GI got it then put in the closet for the next 50+years, not much of a story! Now the ugly/worn/rusty relics that we collectors wont give a secound look at have a story, it does not take much time for a rifle to spend some time in the field before it looks like hell. I have a T-38 Carbine matching/mumed that has that worn been ther done that look, thats the one that I wish could talk!

· Registered
3,229 Posts
It's the same way with Nambus. There are some collectors who only want pure mint examples and thats great but I do seem to like the ones that show some wear, not abused but good honest wear from use. They are ones with stories!

· Silver Bullet member
15,767 Posts
I think John is correct, first class refinish job on the metal; it is just too nice to go with that scarred stock. Thin T38 marks and no wear on the floorplate= suspicion to me.:(

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Stop picking on the mutt....it may have been touched-up a bit? ( couple of screws)? But not re-finished...or the markings would be flat from buffing...the edges are as raised as they were when stamped...nice straw colors as well...even an ole' dawg can find a bone...

Merry christmas
andy

· Registered
244 Posts
I think we should trust Adog's feeling that this is unmessed with. I have an early Tokyo carbine that does not equal the condition, but is close. Mine also has no bayonet marks, and the floor plate has no bluing loss. Mine was never arsenal rebuilt either, as it still matches by assembly number, as I assume Adog's does too? I recently aquired this carbine, and have not really cleaned it up yet. You can see some rust in my outdoor photos, but no bluing loss. Merry Christmas to all!

· Platinum Bullet member
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice try guys. The finish is totally original. The mum & type markings are a bit light but the serial number & inspection marks are nice & crisp. The rifle is totally matching, including the stock & handguard, by the assembly number.
Funny thing is the front sight screw looks bad in the photo but not in person. Checked the front sight screws on my no-series Nagoya and my T-30 rifle & they are buggered a bit.
Ukie, take a look at the stock proofs :p

· Platinum Bullet member
1,591 Posts
I'm pretty sure Rob's rifle is 100%. The front sight screw is wierd for such a nice rifle, but then my Type 97 which is in nearly mint condition (Nagoya number 321) has a mark on the middle band screw that seems out of place.

Bottom line; that's one nice rifle!

John in Charlotte, NC

· Platinum Bullet member
19,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They used soft metal in the screws - I've seen slightly buggered screws on staked T-99s.
Like I said, it doesn't look nearly as bad as it does in the photo.

· Silver Bullet member
15,767 Posts
'Slighty buggered':confused:, is that like almost unturned or nearly full mum?

I suppose it really means Victor tried to dissassemble, but gave up.:D

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

· Gold Bullet member
6,237 Posts
Regardless of lack of story or otherwise, I will still drool at a minty Tokyo T-38. Besides, you never know, this may have been part of the Yasukini shrine museum (Yushukan) display and could have been shouldered by many a royalty and big brass. That would be a heck of a story.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.