Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am, for some reason, in love with the Remington 721/722 but don't have one (yet). I know there was a checkered version - the 721B. I might have actually spotted a genuine one but I need to compare other examples to the one I saw. To be honest, the work on this particular rifle looked kinda shoddy... Not what you would expect from Remington. But then again, I've seen "genuine" factory checkering jobs that weren't so hot.

Does anyone know whether the receiver would be stamped 721B or just 721?

Anyway, if someone would be so kind as to post a pic of their 721B, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I saw one in .30-06 back in the early 90s and almost bought it, but money was tight.
I called a local gunshop and asked them if they had ever sold any, the guy on the phone
talked to me like I was an idiot and told me that he had been in the business for decades
and Remington never made the 722/721s in anything but the plain jane stocks that
are most commonly encountered.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have 1950 and 1953 Shooters Bible that lists the 721 and 722 "AC" with the standard grade stock, checkered.

721 and 722 "B" with selected wood stock, checkered

Unfortunately the only photos are of the 721 and 722 "A", standard grade.

They do not list the M725. Could it be that the "B" was actually the same as the later 725??

Ray

·
Registered
206 Posts
This may sound silly but have you considered asking Remington?

Thye might have the information you seek. If not try Cornell Publishign as they do re-prints of old catalouges and advertising material and they might havejust what your looking for. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Alas 721B

Hi Kurz.
I think that those B models 721 must be pretty rare birds. Remington did a great job marketing the 721/722. Good price point and a particular spartan beauty that clicked. I first checked my book "The Remington 700" by John Lacy. Chapter Five has a lot of good information on the 721/722 series and includes a couple of photos of an "F" Grade 721 with nice checkered stock. I also checked Stoeger's Catalogs from 1948 - 51 with only a fleeting reference to availability of the 721B, but no price or pix. In that era, the fact that a house like Stoeger didn't even show such probably said a lot about actual availability and perhaps their estimate of potential popularity.

I can sugest of two possible photo sources perhaps worth investigation.
The best source might be be The Remington Society of America, www.remingtonsociety.com. I've visited their forum and found them an extremely knowledgeably and competent source re Remington guns. Second, you could check some of the eBay vendors of gun literature for early 721 brochures or make a WTB.

A bit off point, but may I suggest that you also have a look at the Remington Model 725. They have the handsome general lines of the rarer Model 720, but with push feed.
Anyway good luck on your quest. I hope that if you come across some decent pix, you will share them here!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Regarding the Remington 721B.

In the factory lettering on the middle left side of the receiver the model is marked: "721 B". This "721 B" is stamped with the "B" stamped separately from the "721", a little out of line with the "721", and before bluing.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had one in the mid-1960's in .30/06 and what I remember was that the wood was a definate upgrade but the checkering was typical factory work-fairly coarse. My rifle was super accurate but like an idiot, I traded it in for a Winchester Model 70 in .243 that wasn't very well made (1961 or so production) nor very accurate. As I recall, the Remington was marked 721B.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings! I believe I may have one. Mine has the checkered stock but it doesn't say "B" anywhere on the reciever. It also has a Luepold scope which I believe has been on since new. Factory? The rifle was made in 1950. Also, the best part, it has either a nickle plated or chrome (can't tell) trigger guard. Is this some raity from Remington or simply some bolt on aftermarket piece?? Any halp would be greatly appreciated. If someone were to send me their E-mail address I could return a couple photos. I don't see where to post here. Thanks from Olympia Washington

·
Silver Bullet member
52,943 Posts
had one owner 721----3006....ACCURATE- excellent grain in wood but sold it no checkering two + years ago $450........
much better built gun than a 700.

never liked the 700's- had a classic in 264 in box sold that too.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
View attachment 556344 View attachment 556341 View attachment 556342 View attachment 556343 View attachment 556340 Regarding the Remington 721B.

Mine is marked "721 B" but the "B" is stamped separately from the "721" by hand, a little out of line with the "721" and before bluing.

The walnut is full fancy feather-crotch grained walnut with a generous pattern of well-executed, single-border checkering. The serial number is 100,7xx and the barrel code dates it at 1950.

It's Remington's answer to Winchester's Model 70 Supergrade. With non-detachable sling swivels, a stamped trigger guard, and no pistol grip cap. Bolt is numbered to match the serial number.
That is one beautiful piece of wood

1 - 10 of 10 Posts