Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am considering giving local IDPA matches a try as practice with my self defence gun. I have read IDPA rules, including acceptable types of guns and holsters. Have a couple of questions.

1) How useful have you found this?

2) How willing were IDPA clubs to allow revolvers other than those listed in local, monthly shoots? I have in mind revolvers in 22 Mag, 32s (like 32-20, 32 H&R Mag, etc.) and revolvers not having swing-put cylinders.

Thanks,
Niklas

·
Silver Bullet member
402 Posts
1) How useful have you found this?

2) How willing were IDPA clubs to allow revolvers other than those listed in local, monthly shoots? I have in mind revolvers in 22 Mag, 32s (like 32-20, 32 H&R Mag, etc.) and revolvers not having swing-put cylinders.
1. I shoot in IDPA occasionally. I find it very helpful in gaining experience in defensive scenarios. It has helped me a great deal in practicing things I would not normally do on the range: seeking cover, shooting while I move, counting shots, reloading under time pressure, etc.

2. They are very accepting of revolvers with them having their own class. That said, I would stick with a standard revolver that would be used for defense. Who is going to go into an armed conflict by choice with a single action revolver with a spring loaded shell extractor? While I carry a NAA mini revolver occasionally, I would never think of shooting a match with it. What would a shooting stage with 7 armed attackers look like? Think of guns you would use for a CCW test or something that would be a duty gun for a police officer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mongo for the confirmatory feedback to my question #1.

Practical answer to #2 will have to come from local IDPA clubs, where caliber and need for reloads is major question. I feel confident with my 22Mag, 45 Colt and especially 44-40 SAs and 7,5 Swedish Nagant (ballistically a 32-20 and DA) for real world situations, such as feral dogs, rattlers, rabid critters, etc., as well as small game, which are major reason for CCW in remote areas were open carry has some practical problems. Clothed attackers are low on probability scale. Armed conflicts are something I would not want to go into with any handgun.

Thanks,
Niklas

·
Gold Bullet member
2,439 Posts
I shoot IDPA regularly. It is good practice and great fun.

The rules of IDPA do not allow for guns smaller than 38/9mm. That said, some local matches will allow you to use a smaller caliber. But it is strictly a club level thing. It helps in three ways. It gives new shooters a chance to get comfortable with the shooting and moving and reloading on the clock. Helps with those who are recoil sensitive and reduces ammo costs. Especially if it is Mon & Dad and a couple kids taking part. My club started a .22 category recently and it has worked out very well.

Leave the single actions at home and stick to something you don’t have to load one round at a time. Take them to your local SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) match instead. That is another fun sport.

That said; I did shoot a match with my 45 Schofield a couple months back and everyone loved it. It has a 3 ½” Bbl. so it was completely legal and using speed loaders form my 25-5, it was faster to load than a normal revolver. Of course being single action it was a lot slower to shoot. Another time I shot it with an Artillery Luger. The Bbl. was too long to be legal so it didn’t count, but it was fun.

I would suggest that you get to know them first shooting something that conforms to the rules. Then, later down the road, ask if they would mind if you shot something else just for fun. If you show up the first time with a SAA or a Nagant they may just ask you to leave.

Good luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RangerZ,

I now have a more suitable revolver, a S&W Model 60 J-frame .357 Mag with 5,0 inch barrel. Hopefully, they will be tolerant of an additional 0,8 inches of barrel. Like my other revolvers, it will be used for multiple purposes, including HD and CCW, as well as backwoods and wilderness carry, auto carry, hunting, bullseye target shooting, etc. etc. CCW in cities is not likely to happen often -- much prefer to simply avoid the bad areas.

I do shoot some of my revolvers at local CAS matches. I am surprised that you consider single actions slower for repeat shots than DAs. At least in two-handed shooting I see lots of people that shoot SAs as fast as they can recover from recoil, which is the basic limitation of speed with DAs.

Niklas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts