Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was turned on to this wbsite with multiple prior posts by 1886Label. This turns out to be so useful that I think it merits a seperate posting and some step by step. Everything on computers is easy once you know how. But; until you figure it out is might as well all be Greek. Or in this case Italian!

The link:

And example how to get down to one of the 5 pages of metal and wood marks and what they mean:

Google Translate, is your friend:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
First off, the Chegia/Simonelli book on the Carcano is basically a word-for-word translation of the il91 site. If subscribers to this forum are not inclined to spend the money on the book, fourbore's suggestion has some merit. As far as Google Translate being your friend, I have not tried using it to translate any of il91, or anything else for that matter, but I have had some painful experiences "retranslating" work done by machine translation that has been given to me to check over for accuracy; the machine translation can come up with some horrible distortions. I have spent more time fixing machine translations than I care to think about. Bottom line, be wary of using an on-line translation program for anything that involves technical or semi-technical terms.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,080 Posts
There is one advantage to the website over the book .. it can be up-graded with the newer information on the firearms, markings, etc. as they both Alberto and Giovanni get it, in fact, it has happened recently with certain letter and number of the serial numbers of a certain marker of a certain model.

Patrick

Reactions: fourbore

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Agreed, the site can be updated with newer information. However, for those of you who have the book, compare the stilted translation in post #3 above to the same page in the book and you will see what I mean. You can always double-check the site if you are in doubt as to whether or not there is more current info available.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The google translate is not even close to good enough to publish. I get a chuckle with some of the literal translations, but; easy enough for a gun person to figure out.

Any serious collector of any subject should be looking for good published reference material. For me and I think some others here, we are casual accumulators of PW Arms imports, mostly just curious as to what we have and what we might want next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.