Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to collect American military knives, and years ago, I found a very high quality replica of the Mark One, 1918 US Trench Knife I was never able to ID.
I was wondering if anyone might know something about it.

I've never been able to ID the maker, or even where it was made, and have been unable to find any info at all.

The knife has a bronze (not brass) handle that was obviously cast using an original Mark One as a mold master.
Under the correct light, you can just make out where the Landers, Frary, & Clark 1918 mark was just under the U.S. 1918 mark.

The conical nut is brass.

The blade is a high grade stainless that is hardened to actual usable condition.
It's not as well and evenly ground as the current Taiwan made replica blades are, but is more like an original.
The blade is a more leaf-shaped form, with a ricasso not at all like an original blade.
The thickness is not the usual Asian "replica" 1/8" thickness, but is the same 3/16" thick of the original Mark One.

There is no scabbard.

The overall quality is very high, very nearly matching the originals.
Unlike the Asian versions, including the earlier Japanese version, this knife is as sturdy as an original, and is quite up to actual use.

The same knife is pictured in Stevens book "Fighting Knives" pictured in the American Knife section.
He lists it as an American made knife.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this knife.

Bronze handle. Just under the U.S. 1918 you can just make out where "L.F.&C. 1918" was removed from the mold master.
The knuckle spikes are sharper like the original.
Obviously an original Landers, Frary, & Clark handle was used as a mold master.

Stainless steel blade. More leaf-shaped and with a quite different ricasso than an original. Blade is 3/16" thick and is a hardened stainless. Unlike the 1/8" thick Asian blades, this one is quite up to actual use.

Brass conical nut, very high quality

Entire knife is much higher quality than the Asian, even Japanese "replicas", and is nearly as well made as an original.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts