Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! Though I've read the forum for some time, I decided to join and become more involved. I am a recent "convert" to Swedish rifles. I shouldn't have waited so long as I've discovered they are a joy to shoot and to me they are lasers! I acquired my first M96 several months ago, but I can't seem to find much information on it. Dana's book is unavailable, so I was hoping he or you other gents might chime in. My rifle is a CG 1901 and has an odd blondish colored stock (Maple?). It also has a crown "T" wrist cartouche. It is all matching as well as the stock numbers under the barrel. I've attached pictures, and before I forget, thanks in advance for your help! Scott

Attachments

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,204 Posts
Welcome to the Forum !!!!!!!! Glad to have you join us . If you will notice the crescent shaped markings on your stock , that is a clear sign it is beech . They are food storage sacs as I am told by people in the know about wood . Beech is very common with 100+ years of service . It is an arsenal replacement that could have happened anytime after WW1 , when the wood shortage caused the Swedes to use wood other than their standard European ( French ) Walnut . The " Crown/T " is unknown to me , but they are arsenal markings or Army Workshop . The Carl Gustaf rifle factory uses " Crown/C " , Stockholm = " Crown/S " , etc . Actually , that is the 1st " Crown/T " I have seen . Maybe one of our members in Sweden will know the Army work shop using that mark ? Your rifle should have the initials of the inspector at Carl Gustaf in 1901 , next to the serial number on the left side of the receiver . That would be " O.G. " , for Olof Gibson , 1st May 1898 to 31st March 1902 . Be patient , because a reprint of " Crown Jewels " is in the works . Possibly early next year . Any more questions , just ask ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swede, Thanks for your help! Yes, OG is stamped next to the serial number on the left side. And Sheepdog, I've attached a picture of the 96's little brother, a 1941 Husky M38. I guess I've got the start of a "growing" family. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts