Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Picked up a 1933 standard modell short rifle today and was looking to see if my guess as to where it was from or to whom it was intended is correct.

1 has mauser banner only on receiver ring (no date or other marks)
2 on left side has serial # om barrel then 4 lettered marks on receiver ring the ser# again
3 past that is says standard-modell on rec. wall
4 B prefix serial # the 5 numbers
5 straight bolt
6 finger grooves in stock
7 hand guard from in front of sight to just past barrel band
8 sling attachments under stock
9 has a small Ss letter on barrel just in front of receiver
10 all matching except bolt which matches its self
11 very good wood/ bore/blueing
12 paid 100 bucks for it
sorry last 2 items was just bragging but true

from Balls book the best guess i can get it that it was made for or sent to Ethiopia.

Any other info help out there as to rarity or what the little Ss mark would mean

thanks
kurt

·
Silver Bullet member
2,282 Posts
I might be wrong on this but I think a lot of the B prefix also went to China.That was a great price.HTH

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Kurt,
The early history of the Standardmodell (SM) rifle is cloudy at best. We do know that by 1933-1934, large number were being sold to China, which was invaded by Japan in 1933. Also during the 1933-34 time frame, the SM rifle was also sold to Ethiopia. I have two Ethiopian Standardmodells, one of which has "Mod. 1933" on its siderail, while the other is marked "Standardmodell". Except for their markings, they are exactly the same. However, both have the large Ethiopian "Lion of Judah' stamp on the barrel. I would suggest that if your rifle does not have this mark that it is likely that your SM was a Chinese purchase, as Mauserdad suggests.

This also makes sense satisically since many tens of thousands of SM's were sold to various Chinese authorities while comparatively few went to Ethiopia. Also, very few old rifles have been exported from Ethiopia to the US, while man, many thousands of rifles from China came to North America in the late 80's and early 90's.
Best Regards,
John

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for all the info. Guy i bought it from said he thought it was a china rifle also.Either way for 100 bucks i'm as happy as can be as i didn't have a banner rifle yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts