Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning the bore up is easy enough - it's the gas system cleanup part that really concerns me. :(

On an AK I'd sweat it less, but given that the SKS gas tube changes diameter towards the rear, I wonder if I missed a spot if corrosion would set in back there. Should I just fill the whole thing with soapy water?

Maybe I am over-thinking this (?). Would it be better if I just stuck with the N/C ammo and never worried?

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
Ballistol -eh.

Really hot water and a little hand diswashing detergent, rinse, then clean and lube as usual to get all corrosive salts out. I didn't find Ballistol to be any better than Rem Oil in cleaning and preventing corrosion and that's not very good.

· Registered
17 Posts
Here's what I do with my PSL, every time I take it out. Fire all the corrosive ammo I want to and when I am done and the rifle is still warm, I take WinDex to it. Break it down at the range to it's basic parts assys. and I spray WinDex down the barrel, basically fill it up real quike like, I spray the muzzle brake real well too. Take the gas tube and coat it good inside and wet a paper towel down with WinDex and wipe off the gas piston and carrier and bolt face. Since the rifle is warm the WinDex evaparates before the the water on it can cause any rust on the parts. I take the used paper towel and tighten it up so I can pull it through the gas tube. Now I can wait a day or so before it needs a good cleaning and oiling if it is kept dry inside a house. No brown fuzzies growing all over it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.