Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a VERY long shot but I figured I would give it a try.

After the war Dad was stationed at the UN in NYC, that's where he met my Mom. Dad had already passed before I saw this picture and all Mom can remember was that is was a very famous Marine.

I know, small pic, facing the wrong way, etc. but was curious if anyone might have a guess who it might be?

This would have been 1946, Dad is not in this photo (Mom was pretty sure) but Dad was 6'3" and all the Marines were about his size.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
The ears really look like Chesty but the guy in your pic seems a little thicker.

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
Anything is possible but the neck roll and big waist aren't "chesty-like", the hairline in front of the ear is also different though that may just be an over exposure on the photo.
My first impression of the uniform is that it is more Army than Marine.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,675 Posts
Need a larger piccie to tell much, I'm afraid. but remember that in 1946, Lewis "Chesty" Puller wasn't all that well known except to the USMC. He'd have been what - an LTC just then? - and not all that famous at home and probably not a guy to be pulling that sort of inspection (time and place).

·
Gold Bullet Member
506 Posts
Army

I may agree with the Army theory, the blouse looks army and the cover, but I was a 70.s Marine I'm sure things had changed. An unwritten rule "always wear the same uniform of the Marines you are inspecting and look sharper than any of them".

3,343 Posts
I concur with Sgt Dun. He's pinging on target on this one! Custom, Tradition and Usage runs very, very deep in the Navy and CORPS.

The ears would confirm or deny true ID, however, if these could be enlarged and sharpened up. Second only to fingerprints (and now DNA) ears are the most identifying body part available, and are 100% accurate with excellent photography! (Part of the Intel training program-big grin).

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
4,675 Posts
I would argue three things that indicate that man is not a Marine:

1. Posture.
2. The fit and style of his uniform.
3. He's got crap sticking out of his back pocket.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx everyone for their time & effort on this impossible task!

Next time I go to Moms I'll see if I can't go thru the photos again, maybe another pic in there I hadn't seen. Also see if I can't scan a better resolution of this one.

I don't know squat about WWII or the Marine Corp (I spent my time in the Army), but I would have to agree with the Army angle (crap sticking out of his back pocket)!

made me think of:
Irish pennants
Air Force gloves
gig lines

Thanx again!

·
Banned
39,944 Posts
Marines dont do that

I would argue three things that indicate that man is not a Marine:

1. Posture.
2. The fit and style of his uniform.
3. He's got crap sticking out of his back pocket.
Marines Don't Do That
By: L. F. Chapman, Jr. - Commandant

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20380

To: All General Officers and All Commanding Officers - Active and Reserve
Subj: Marines Don't Do That

1. Early this month I received the following note from a distinguished friend:

General Chapman:

"Recently I was in an air terminal......(Most people there presented a pretty sloppy appearance) - coats unbuttoned, ties loosened, etc. There was a Marine Corporal (in uniform) who was just the opposite. I spoke to the Marine and pointed out the difference to him. I asked him why it was so? His answer was: 'The Marines don't do that.'"

"Regards,"

2. "The Marines don't do that." A simple statement of fact which leaves no question in the mind of the listener.

• Marines don't - wear a scruffy uniform.
  • Marines don't - slouch around with their hands in their pockets. Marines don't - wear long hair.
  • Marines don't - fail to respond with a "Yes, or No, Sir" when speaking with a senior. Marines don't - render a half-hearted or sloppy salute to the Stars and Stripes or to their seniors. Marines don't - gang up on each other.
  • Marines don't - question lawful orders.
  • Marines don't - lie or cheat or break their word.
  • Marines don't - abandon a fellow Marine in time of need.
  • Marines don't - let down their fellow Marines by succumbing to drug temptation.
  • Marines don't - meet problems with "It can't be done" or questions with the easy answer "No."
  • Marines don't - knock the system without recommending appropriate change. Marines don't - (the list is all but endless).
4. Marines don't do that. But why not? Because they are a breed apart. They are not the run of the mill; they are but a few good men. They are proud members of an elite Corps. They are as well trained as-if not better than-any military outfit, anywhere. They have led the way, in war and peace, for 196 years. And they know that today they are ready-combat ready-to move out, any time, with the Navy, go anywhere, take on anybody, fight and win.
We must keep our balance, raise our quality, maintain our standards, and be ready to serve our Country. Marines do that!

/s/ L. F. Chapman, Jr.
Commandant

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
I'm not sure when the practice ended, but the Marines used to wear patches on their uniforms, like the army.

·
100,675 Posts
I'm not sure when the practice ended, but the Marines used to wear patches on their uniforms, like the army.
I think the Fourth Brigade of Marines (in the Second Division of Regulars, as John W. Thomason, Jr. always called it) wore the Indian head patch of that division in WWI, but not after. Patches reappeared in WWII, but disappeared by Korea and AFAIK were never uniform items after that.

3,343 Posts
I go along with the Army idea. Put your curser on the aparently shoulder patch, hold down the "ctrl" button and hit the "+" sign about 12-15 times and see what you think about his uniform, crap in the rear pocket, possible sholder patch, stripes on his sleeves and general posture. This is no Marine IMO!

·
100,675 Posts
Don't see stripes, but an Army uniform. And an Army-style c*nt cap, not USMC. Can't read the patch, but it looks as if it might have an Airborne or Ranger tab above it.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't see stripes, but an Army uniform. And an Army-style c*nt cap, not USMC. Can;t read the patch, but it looks as if it might ahve an Airborne or Ranger tab above it.

When my kids were small, probably ages 9 and 13, we were moving junk and found my Class-A's. Of course my son wanted to try on the jacket, rummaged thru the pockets and pulled out my garrison cap, folded in half.

"Dad - what's this?"

"Son, that's a c*** cap."

Of course, Mom and older sis were standing right there. The wife gave me a look that said - you're on your own - and walked out of the room.

I had forgot all about that!

Thanx for the effort everyone and I learned a new computer trick today!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.