Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What can I do to protect myself from buying a stolen pistol at the local gun show (someone who is not a dealer) Is there some way a dealer can run the numbers? Thanks for any input

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
What can I do to protect myself from buying a stolen pistol at the local gun show (someone who is not a dealer) Is there some way a dealer can runs the numbers? Thanks for any input
First off. Even if you can get a dealer to try to run the numbers and see if it was a stolen gun being sold by someone just attending the show, the seller won't let that happen, if he knows it is stolen. I don't know if gunshow dealers can, or would, do that anyway. But it would be a way to maybe make sure. Just ask a dealer at the next show you attend if he can run numbers on a gun to see if it is ligit. If you find someone that wants to sell one at the show, ask him if he minds if you take it to this dealer to have the numbers run. If he says he minds, walk away. If he doesn't mind, have the numbers run just for your own peace of mind anyway.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
You could insist that the sale be handled by a 01 FFL, which is mandatory (for these private party transfers) out in Commiefornia. That dealer may charge you a fee; but it does provide the buyer with a little protection. If the seller says no; then no deal.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,339 Posts
Never known a dealer to run numbers, not even a pawn shop except maybe against a local hot sheet. Best bet on that is to have a friendly cop who who will run an NCIC/TCIC (since you are in Tejas) check for "reported stolen" for you. Good luck on getting the seller, friendly cop and you all at the same place at the same time.....

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,894 Posts
In Michigan, some departments used to run a number as a courtesy but in the Detroit area, new regulations now require the inquiring officer to have the gun in his possession first and to immediately confiscate it, if it comes back hot. The teletype type machine used rings an alarm if the response is hot. It is not possible to sneak an inquiry even if the officer is willing to help. Currently all police cruisers have direct computer access to your concealed firearms inventory/serial numbers as registered with the state.

If you are that worried, just deal with reputable dealers. Of course the last guy holding the gun runs the risk of loss as it is returned to the orginal owner. You can sue the dealer for restitution but the cost of doing so will likely be greater than the value of the gun.

I have seen dealers have fits if a customer looks at a gun and writes the serial number down for later research. They fear that you will go home and notify the poilce that it was stolen from you.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,339 Posts
Fact of the matter is - there is NO WAY to be SURE a gun isn't hot. Even of you buy it from a dealer and have it run.

If doing a f-t-f with a non-dealer, it is a good idea to treat it as if it was a C&R purchase and take down name, address and some form of photo-ID from the seller and have him sign a bill of sale stating that he is the true and lawful owner, is selling his propeerty and that it is his to sell. That will help establish you as a BFP and reduce the potential for being accused of knowing receipt of stolen property. but it won't protect you from confiscation by the cops if it turns out to be hot - usually without compensation. One of the reason pawn shops pay such a small amount on things is they lose them if the Stolen Property Squad arrives and finds something on their hot sheet....

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Another problem - lots of wrong or duplicate serial nos, especially on imports.

Just get a bill of sale that has both of you declaring that the sale doesn't violate any laws and put both your ids - DL or CCP, on it. That way the worst that will happen is you lose the pistol.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Bought a Security Six from a pawn shop that was later stolen out of my vehicle. Filed a report with the local parish PD. Was called back a few weeks later and was told the gun was originally reported as stolen from another parish, and even if they would recover it, it would go back to the original owner. went to the pawn shop to get my money back. Went twice. Nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.