Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me gods of the enfield board, but I'd like opinions on this lisiting. it is a closed lisitng.

Something is a bit odd on this one. Not an LEC style stock, more of a NZ style.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/96940745...le/Enfield_Model_1895_Carbine_303_British.htm#

Also this one.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9604121&oh=216543

Is that pitting really bad? Is it usable only for parts, or is it restorable?

That brass pin head, visible under the bolt handle. Original?

Thanks in advance for all the info and answers.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
"Is that pitting really bad? Is it usable only for parts, or is it restorable?"

Well, the seller calls it a spot of pitting, ha :eek:. Looks pretty bad to me; anything is 'restorable', just depends on how much $$ you want to spend o it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Its in pretty nice shape except for the pitting on the barrel the seller neglected to mention.
That's a very nice example. How bad's the pitting? Pitting under the wood is a pretty common problem with these.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Doesn't look all that bad to me. You'll want to get the forestock off and get rid of any active rust. Oil it all and keep an eye on it every couple of months or so. There are also several rust converters out there that chemically convert the rust, and end up black in color. If you apply some carefully with an artist's paint brush, there shouldn't be too much of a noticeable effect on the good finish.

Pitting tends to be a fact of life with RIC carbines, and yours is certainly better by far than a few I've seen (the other one in the OP's first post, for example).

·
Registered
570 Posts
The L-M butstock has the extra sling atchment on the side of the stock,the other carbine with worse piting would not wory me to much finding the top wood will be a problem though not inposible,if it was in Australia i would be uping the bid a bit ,great history with these carbines and it is restoroble

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is my 1895 Lee Metford Carbine. A+ Condition origional cleaning rod and leather sight cover.
If someone has a pic of the right sling would love to see it..I've told it fits like the early gew88's over the rod.

cheers
Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Arsenal

·
Platinum Bullet member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a different listing.

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=170035766

What I'm mostly curious about are the 'proof' markings. 'Stacked" rifles? What does that (and all the other markings) mean?

The attached verbage says.

'Serial# TB0173. The Lee-Metford rifle (a.k.a. Magazine Lee-Metford, abbreviated MLM) was a breech-loading British army service rifle, combining James Paris Lee's rear-locking bolt system and ten-round magazine with a seven groove rifled barrel designed by William Ellis Metford. It replaced the Martini-Henry rifle in 1888, following nine years of development and trials, but remained in service for only a short time until replaced by the similar Lee-Enfield. This one was imported from Pakistan But is Not a Khyber Pass rifle. The barrel has been cut down to carbine length. Beautiful stocks with Volley sights. Has some flaws typical to a rifle of this age. Dated 1904. Mag cut off plate. Please check ...'

A volley sighted carbine? The crown and other markings on the wrist band don't look quite right, but I'm still in the learning curve.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
The markings on the buttsocket aren't right at all. Some of the other markings look off to me too (including the volley sight dial). At best it's a hybrid "Lee-Khyberfield", cobbled together from a commercial MLE pattern rifle (BSA). I'd avoid it myself...especially at that price.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't like that "TBxxx" stamping on the left side of the receiver wall - stinks like a TGN Khyber Pass to me. Volley sights on this "carbine"? The "trade mark" stamping would send me away. The crown stamping looks amateurish; not like an arsenal marking. Too many things about this carbine say, exactly as JR says, a hybrid at best.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I agree with both of the above.
I think the seller is mistaken and that this is a KP rifle.
I think it is intended to be in "Shortened Rifle Club-Pattern" format - shortened Long Rifles, cut down to allow them to be used in service rifle competitions after the introduction of the SMLE.
I would bet that it is actually a 25.2" barrel (so SMLE length not carbine). IIRC one is illustrated in Skennerton. The wrist markings look all wrong to me (and identical in lettering style to those being sold as KP rifles) and I am not sure I am really convinced by the BSA mark either.

·
Platinum Bullet member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thank you gentlemen for your insights. There were just a few to many bits of 'strangeness' to the Khyberfield carbine. In the same way, I was offered a No4Mk1, 'tanker carbine' once. Looked like a short SMLE.

So more questions on the second carbind in the original post. Its been re-offered. I've asked the seller for more info and pics. What are good links/sites/leads etc ... for a correct new barrel if need be?

Gracias.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts