Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,718 Posts
I have no clue. The thing is matching, but its not totally matching. I have not clue.....

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,621 Posts
It's nice....but....for $600?

No. I need more pics...:cool:

;)

Anyone else think that stock is a bit uniformly shiny?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Really neat Mosin. But something about the stock finish doesn't sit right. Maybe I've been staring at refurbs too much.

T

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Only thing I see 'wrong' is unnumbered floorplate. If you want toi call that wrong. It appears several guys thought it close enough to qualify for all original matching. Everyone make a note and let's see how long until you get another shot at an all original matching 91/30........
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have gone that high, either. What it shows is the existing desire & appreciation out there for such rifles.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
The importer-added serial number screams "Finn import" to me, though I haven't been in the game for 25 years.

I never thought I'd see a non-sniper 91/30 go for anything close to that. Must have been a fluke. If not, a few original-matching 91/30s might just be going up on the auction site... ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
i was watching that one too. I think the correct and clear Tula dated stock, percieved all matching, and probable finnish history all had something to do with it. But like other, am a little surprised by the price. In a good way. Maybe our colletions will be worth something soon! ;)

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,621 Posts
Hmmm, i have spent silly money on rifles, but I would not pay that amount for that one. It is nice, but not $600.00 nice.....My SA M38 was less....

Pahtu.
Gotta agree with you there Pahtu.

"I ran a lite oily rag over the wood stock and handguard, to better bring out the stock colors, I guess. This lite oil dries out in about a day or two."

That explains why the stock is so shiny.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,584 Posts
The "wet" on the stock looks like harsh sunlight versus cheaper digital camera. If I try to photograph my rifles in the full NV spring or summer sun I get the same effect, even with a DSLR.

I would say that it is unusual to run across a matching Mosin that has not been refurbed to death. Would I pay $600 for one? NO! I have a 1943 Izhevsk in similar condition except mine does not match. It was probably rebuilt during the war, but did not suffer the massive overblueing and stock scrubbing that you see on the average Big 5 or Dunham's offering. The rifle in this auction still has the "been there, done that" look that many find attractive.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Seller says he has owned since early 80's. Hints
that it might have import stamp near front sight,
if you look with a magnifying glass. Pics would
not load for me; can you guys see anything from
the pics. Thought import stamps were not required
until 1986 ? What else could have been stamped
in that area very, very faintly ? If the buyer is
happy...i guess that's all that counts. My 2 rubles.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
I would guess a Finn captured import also. I know where a similar rifle is for sale at a local shop for $125. It is missing the front site though. Maybe I should pick it up, install a front site, and put it up for auction. ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
3,469 Posts
I bid on that one early on, thought not having to pay the 30 bucks for shipping (somewhat local) would bring the price down some. Not at $600. I did exchange some e-mails with the seller. He had put some gun oil on the stock before taking pictures and felt that the barrel did have a buffed import marking. Nice to see an all Tula marked rifle, but not for that kind of cash.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,488 Posts
You've got to give the seller credit for lots of sharp photos.

I just passed on buying a Gun Broker 1898 Tula M91 because the barrel/receiver photo was just too blurry to be sure about markings and it was too late when I saw it to ask seller for a better photo.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You've got to give the seller credit for lots of sharp photos.

I just passed on buying a Gun Broker 1898 Tula M91 because the barrel/receiver photo was just too blurry to be sure about markings and it was too late when I saw it to ask seller for a better photo.
I think you're talking about the one I bought. I also thought the picture was too blurry and it almost looked like too much had been scrubbed. But for $240 with no FFL I thought I might as well take a risk.

·
Silver Bullet member
327 Posts
I think you're talking about the one I bought. I also thought the picture was too blurry and it almost looked like too much had been scrubbed. But for $240 with no FFL I thought I might as well take a risk.

Let us know how this turns out. I asked the guy for more (and better) pics. He sent two more that were just as blurry, but it was a '98 Tula.

See if this is the one...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.