Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its a 20mm Solothurn anti-tank rifle from WWII. They were used by the italians, the Swiss, Germans, Romania, Finland, Hungary and a few others. Not very effective by the time they were put to use as the armor got thicker faster than the ammo got hotter. These were about the last of the shoulder fired AT guns until rocket powered shaped charge units arrived. I guess this one is on the line between little artillery and big rifles.....

First pic shows the Solothurn with a Swiss PE57 rifle and a SIG AMT rifle for size comparison.
Second pic shows an original round of APT 20mm made in Germany, one of my reloads using US 20mm Vulcan training projos, a .50 cal round and an 8mm round. The .50s are fun to shoot and I have a boys rifle to use up all that ammo but the 20mm is a real rifle....

Frank

·
Registered
397 Posts
Frank- love those big bores. We have taken 20mm Vulcan brass
and made 4bore cases from them that is a.998 bore that will
fire 2000gr slugs when we get one built.Ed

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bulk Powder?

Looks like a 1 pound can of H870 or 8700 per case?, how many reloads can a 1 pound can do?, ONE. :eek:

If I were to fire that big one the 2 titanium screws in my neck would pop out>

Have fun

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 20mm for the solo or lahti uses between 500 and 600 grains of powder per round. With 7000 gr to the pound you can get about a dozen rounds per pound. We are using 1500gr training projectiles from the US 20mm vulcan rounds and they are doing about 2800-3200 fps depending on the load. The guns weigh a lot-solothurn 114lb empty and lahti 108 lb empty so recoil is damped quite a lot just by mass. Both guns have an effective muzzle brake that further reduces the recoil. The solothurn is recoil operated and the 42 lb barrel moves about 3 inches to the rear when fired. That smooths the recoil pulse out quite a lot and increases the time factor so the gun doesn't really hit you it pushes. My wife shoots the solo and shot the lahti quite a lot. She is a lightweight and shows no ill effects from the shooting. I don't think your neck screws would notice the recoil much. I'd rather shoot 100rds through this baby than 25 through a .460 weatherby. And just for informational purposes, we normally buy powder in 8lb jugs and weigh on a 2kg triple beam balance in grams. I think the load I use normally is 34.6grams or 550grains.

Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts