Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a flea market and found what I think is an M-39. I'm not very knowledgeable on Fins. (and a lot of other things)
It is a Sako marked S.K.Y. "S" in the gear logo... dated 1934 serial number 36325. There is "S90905" on the side of the receiver...
its in a crowned "S" marked stock... no sling. There was a stock splice that looks strong and a crack in the handguard that doesn't feel all that bad. The bolt has no serial number on it. The stock has some dings and much of the bluing remains. I saw no import marks on the receiver but I forgot to look on the end of the barrel.
The owner does some gun smithing and says he never shot any corrosive ammo in it.... but I'm certain someone has LOL! The bore looks at least very good and might be even better with a cleaning.
The price was $300.(private sale) I have the guy's phone number. It would probably make a nice shooter. I did a quick look on armslist and it seems M-39's are going for $400. Is this worth pursuing next week or will there be better deals for this condition at this price.? Thanks

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
One of the easiest ways to spot a M39 in a crowd is the slotted sling mount in the side on the stock and the dual sling barrel band.

From your description, sounds like a good deal.

Check the bolt knob for the last four of the serial.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,616 Posts
When I first returned to collecting Finns again I passed on one of these. A guy at local show had a few Finns for sale and I already had a m28/30 and had never seen a M28 in the wild. He had a low numbered no date Sako 28/30, early Sig M28, and I think a beat up M91 of unremembered heritage. I looked hard at the 28/30 which was in an equally beat up M39 stock, but ignored the voices and went with the M28. I could only afford one rifle at the time. Member Uncle Joe had an almost unissued M91 B barrel for same price of $300, just down the isle. Had to pass on that one too. Never saw so many Finns at one show again. Still kicking myself for ignoring the probably original import condition 28/30 no date. Don't follow my foot steps. John.

PS next show it was gone, so I picked up on Uncle Joe's m91-B. Win some loose some.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sights looked a little different to me. I did a little looking on the web and found this. I believe the sights looked like this:

This guy is a flea market seller and it was winding down when we left so I stand a chance of getting this but I must get paid from a second job this week and somehow not have my wife flip out on me. We just had our 6th child a week ago.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this significant? Does it affect the value of the rifle?This is where I got the picture of the sights above.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/M28-Rifle.asp
It was also an option to Civil Guardsmen to return their m/24 or m/28 rifles to the SAKO workshop for an updated version. This modification reconfigured their older m/28’s to the new m/28-30 design or a new rifle was issued if an older model was returned. These factory updates on rifles and the return of individual weapons to be updated at the Civil Guardsmen’s expense- totaled approximately 2,000 rifles. The rifles returned for update by Civil Guard members were given the term “personal reserve rifles” and was an officially accepted modification by SAKO and the Civil Guard. The updated rifles produced by SAKO was given the nomenclature of a m/28-28/30. These were also recognized as transition models and retained the original markings of a m/28 but now resembled the m/28-30 in sights and in appereance.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
For what we know it is and the price, go buy it then post it up. It is a good deal. Afterwards post pics and we will tell you if it is just a homerun or a grandslam.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The sights looked a little different to me. I did a little looking on the web and found this. I believe the sights looked like this:

This guy is a flea market seller and it was winding down when we left so I stand a chance of getting this but I must get paid from a second job this week and somehow not have my wife flip out on me. We just had our 6th child a week ago.
According to your information, it's either a M28 w/updated sights, a 28/30, or possibly a M39.

Either way, it's worth the $300, could be considerably more if it's a 28/30 with updated sights.

I recently sold a 28/30 in rough but shootable condition for $300, I was inundated with emails telling me I should have been asking more.

Here is a good showing of Mosins variations:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRef01.htm

Note the rear sight on M28's as compared to 28/30's.
The 28/30 has a crossbolt near the nose cap.
Most M39's have a pistol grip stock.

But to add confusion, the Finns recycled parts like crazy, so you can find 27's in a 28/30 stock and 28/30's in a 39 stock...

Just buy it, you know you want to :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Good gracious! Six kids.......I've got 4 myself. I know what you mean about the wife flippin' out. Have you ever figured out what causes that (the kids that is, we all pretty much know that it doesn't take much for a wife to flip out!)?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
According to your information, it's either a M28 w/updated sights, a 28/30, or possibly a M39.

Either way, it's worth the $300, could be considerably more if it's a 28/30 with updated sights.
If it has a 1934 date and SKY on it then it is not a M28 with updated sight nor a M39. And what do you mean if its a 28/30 with updated sights?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I had taken some cell phone pics with my lousy cell phone.
I thought I was looking at a decent shooter M39. I'll call the dude when I go to lunch and
I have already arranged to barrow the lousy $400. until I get paid what I'm owed.
That way I don't upset the wife but so much considering we just had a baby a week ago.
Showing up with yet another Mosin Nagant will be enough.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,616 Posts
If it is what you first described it would be an early 28/30 I am pretty sure. I did not catch where all the added possibilities came from? If it is an early 28/30 and in reasonable shape, sell it to me for a reasonable profit, take the wife out and be a hero. Your wife might not understand any of this, but in my eyes you would be a real hero. All kidding aside wish you luck. My goodness 6 kids I am surprised you can afford food and clothes. My niece and hubby have 6 kids and just moved to TN. Not sure I would want the responsibility, but I am envious of her family and what she is doing with those kids. Best of all things to you and yours. John.

PS just kidding about the dated 1934 28/30 I don't need another one. $400 is probably pretty good price if not messed with, would probably have no trouble getting $5-600. Without pics hard to say much more. Again good luck!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
If it has a 1934 date and SKY on it then it is not a M28 with updated sight nor a M39. And what do you mean if its a 28/30 with updated sights?
Too early for me to be posting it seems...
I had 3 pages open and was missing the date and such...
And I know better than a SKY marked 28, maybe I need to get more sleep instead of searching GB all night for finn M38's and 44's...

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Too early for me to be posting it seems...
I had 3 pages open and was missing the date and such...
And I know better than a SKY marked 28, maybe I need to get more sleep instead of searching GB all night for finn M38's and 44's...
I knew something was up!! Haha you had me scratching my head thinking "Huh?????"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.