Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked by a friend to find as much info on a sub-gun that his now deceiced father managed to bring back from Viet Nam in '68. The receiver markings are as follows:
MANUFACTURE NATIONALE D' ARMES DE TULLE MODELE 1949 No. XXXXX
1. I know it's possibly a French made sub-gun, but I didn't know what calibre.
2. It appears to be in complete functionable condition. It has a sliding wire stock, stick mags, the magwell has a lock in front of the triger guard that un latches the magwell and allows it to swing forward and lock onto the bottom of the barell for transport. The barrel is about 8" with a heat shield. The weapon itself appears to fire from an open bolt position with a safety mech in the pistol grip(squeeze the grip, pushing in on the safety bar and the trigger will operate and bolt closes.)
I DO NOT have any pics. Owner was leary about taking pics and posting them.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Unless brought back Before Oct 68 and registered durring the amnesty in Oct/Nov 68 it is Not registered and is thus good only to be stripped out and sold as a parts kit. :(
It was NEVER legal to bring ANY full automatic weapon home from Nam in any condition!
I had several set aside waiting for them to change the regs - Never happened. :mad:
Sarge

·
Registered
572 Posts
Mat 49

Look for paperwork, or check with ATF in W.Va: It actually probably is papered, if you can find it. It's only one page, though- you may not want to submit a transfer and find out, there should be a way to find out, but even ATF doesn't know all the ones out there with capture papers that are legal. THere were MAT 49's imported, so you may have an example he bought of a gun he saw/had in Nam, too. If dewated, it's possible your friend may not know enough to have found the welds yet, either-

You may have him call Bob Naess at Black River Militaria, he could help, and he's ok, , but don't assume it's not papered, if it came in from overseas with capture papers, or if it was bought by him after he got back here, (probably after 68 if nam?) it is probably legal, but there's some stuff that the heir needs to do.

Glen

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep sounds like a MAT 49. Hope it was registered in the '68 amnesty. Also something to watch out for; if the barrel appears to be a bit longer than the barrel in the pics that Machinegunner posted it may be chambered in 7.62x25. The North Vietnamese "acquired" alot of these from the French and rebarreled them to 7.62x25(type P). As always, be careful.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You like the Mat 49 - want some frog mag pouches? I've got a couple.

Since there were NEVER ANY FAs Legally brought back from VN there can not be any capture papers.

I do agree that the executor should look thru all papers, in envelopes and any place else they can think of to see if there are registration papers.
The 68 amnesty papers were a full page, form 4467 dated 10 68. Any other registration - Form 4 or 5 were also full page forms.
Sarge

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. he's still looking through all of the papers from his father's estate. Literally a mountain of paperwork, 6 file cabinets.
In a side note we also found all the pieces to a 1891/30 sniper minus scope in an old strong box. Still covered in grease, cleaned out the barell and almost needed sunglasses from the shine off of the bore. Really nice piece and all matching. Has the PU mounting bracket on the side. We put it together and viola, Mosin PU sniper. Need to find an origional scope.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Sarge, are you referring to the green web pouches, or the 'butterscotch' colored ones?

From what I understand, most often the cleaning kit pouches are mistaken for mag pouches.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
This is what I have. You tell me. They are fairly heavy leather.
Sarge

1 - 12 of 12 Posts