Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes mashed fingers to get 20 rounds in the 30 round mags. Even the 10 round mags are tough to load, especially squeezing in that last round. I've looked for Magpul loaders for 7.62x39 but only see them for 5.56 and .308. If any of you guys can direct me to a source, I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys, I'll try the Lula for the AR-15 5.56 and see if it works with 7.62 x 39. The Podavach is a neat idea. It evidently works with about every rifle mag, but not sure I want to shell out $99 for it if the $30 Lula works. The Lula is also quite compact and you can put it in your pocket.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's what I just received from Windham:

I hear you, the 7.62x39 magazines are very difficult to load. I can get 30 rounds in them but not without some pain in the fingers.
Clipping the spring may make it easier to load but you will probably get feeding failures toward the last rounds of the magazine if you do this.

Right now nobody makes a loader for AR style 7.62x39 magazines. But the good news is that Maglula is working on one and is supposed to have it available this year. Hopefully by summer time.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Erik Winter
Windham Weaponry

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have used these and they work well if you have decent stripper clips.

http://shop.gsdesigns.ca/Spoon-Type-Loader-for-762x39-Stripper-Clips-LT-X39-I.htm

My wife and I use 20 round ASC magazines in our AR carbines. These come from a business in Canada and took about two weeks to get to me. I have not found anyone in the states that manufactures or sells these.

View attachment 2019225 View attachment 2019233
Thanks for the info, Dannyboy. I do have stripper clips, and will consider this as an alternative. Interesting that Windham decided to make 30 round mags knowing they are almost impossible to load. They could have gone with 10 and 20 rounders to limit the problem, but I suppose for marketing purposes a 30 rounder was deemed important. Maybe someone thought the carbine looked 'cooler' with the long mag?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.