Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where else to post about this little 9mm Bergman/Largo caliber carbine. It's not a pistol, but a rifle that fires a pistol caliber. I picked it up at a Gunshow for $200.00 with extra mags. The dealer who had it didn't have a clue about it. I know very little about it and that's more than he knew. ( yes I've been to 9mmlargo.com) Most of the bluing is intact and the wood is fine. ( a few dings and handling marks here and there ) The bore is most excellent and up to my standards! It's too bad the ejector doesn't work! I already posted on the WTB section for a replacement ejector. ( good luck to me. ) I will try to post pics later.
Sorry to post rifle/carbine material on a PISTOL section of a forum. I didn't see an area for the Destroyer Carbine...........

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
Actually your post is welcome here - I collect the Destroyers also. What part are you referring to - the ejector mounted in the side of the receiver, or the extractor which is a part incorporated into the bolt?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Destroyer Carbine needing ejector.

Bob,

I need a replacement of the ejector that is spring-loaded and mounted in the side of the receiver. The ejector in the Dest. Carb. looks to be worn down. The actual part of the ejector that extends into the side of the bolt appears to be polishied down. I can see a gap between the bolt cut-out and the ejector. ( this was most likely done by years of pulling the bolt back and the bolt rubbing against the ejector ) I am going to ask a friend to take a pic of this carbine and this gap I speak of and post it here. I will most likely NOT fire this weapon until it ejects empties properly! Hell, I've only got one little 25rd box of corrosive ammo cica 1965 for it at the moment anyway. I may even start reloading for the first time, starting with 9mm Largo. I picked up three old, but unused boxes of Midway 9mm Largo brass for $30.00 bucks. It would be nice if this thing was in 9mm Luger!!!

·
23,298 Posts
Well, you may be in luck then - I think that part will be more readily available.

·
Silver Bullet member
261 Posts
Bob,
I picked up three old, but unused boxes of Midway 9mm Largo brass for $30.00 bucks. It would be nice if this things was in 9mm Luger!!!
While Largo will never be as cheap as 9mm Luger, it is really not that bad. If you intend to reload Starline makes very good brass at about $130/1000. You can also use 9x23 Winchester which is a bit more expensive but generally lasts longer.

If you want to shoot factory ammo, non-corrosive surplus is available from both SILLC/Long Mountain http://www.longmountain.com/Ammo/9mm-largo/ and Sarco http://sarcoinc.com for around $0.20/round (in case quantities)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Destroyer Carbine, 9mm Largo.

Thanks for the info Jimm2003. I looked up the price of the ammo online and It will be cheaper even after shipping. I paid too much for my little box of corrosive ammo.
( not too many choices as far as guns and ammo go here in Yuma, Az )

Bob in St. Louis,
You think you may have a spare ejector for my Single stack mag Destroyer Carbine?
If so, let me know the price. I looked at the ejector last night and it appears to have been "messed with". ( on the outside ) It has some bluing missing and it may even be a custom made part! I am going to my friends house tonight and have him take pics so I can post em'.

Looked at 9mm LUGER barrel blanks online today at www.thedealershowroom.com/ :)
Hey, would it or would it not be cool to have this thing rebarreled for cal. 7.62x25mm/.30 Tokarev!! ( just a thought )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Destroyer Carbine pics.

#1 shows the "gap' between the bolt's cut out and the ejector.
#2 the proof marks.
#3 the outside of the ejector.
#4 the ejector exposed with bolt back behind it.
#5 another pic of the ejector's "gap".
#6 a full size pic of the Carbine long with two hi-cap 1911 .38super mags.

Do any of your Destroyer Carbines have this same gap?
This rifle does not eject rounds. The extractor is ok, but not the ejector.

·
23,298 Posts
The ejector does appear to be bent - it may be a fairly simple fix for a gunsmith. By the way, the year code on your rifle is 1953 - first year they started making the single stack mag version of the destroyer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dest. Carb. ejector problem.

Thanks for the info Eibar Mafia, Godfather.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring it to a gunsmith. We have two of them here in Yuma, Az and they charge much for little work. Sounds like I just might have to do it! Last time I took a rifle to the smith, he charged me $65.00 just to drill and tap holes in the top of my Savage MKII cal. .22LR. I knew when I bought this thing that parts are hard to come by. I owned one of these back in the late 90's that had the very same proof codes! My first DC had dark wood with dings and handling marks, a very good bore and most of the bluing. I paid $160.00 for it at a pawn shop in Abeliene, Tx. ( what a horrible dump that place is!!! ) I was stationed at Dyess AFB from Sept. 1997-Sept. 1998 so I had no choice....

Any one know of a gunsmith tha could fix the ejector and install a 9mm Luger barrel into a Destroyer Carbine?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks for the info Eibar Mafia, Godfather.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring it to a gunsmith. We have two of them here in Yuma, Az and they charge much for little work. ...Any one know of a gunsmith tha could fix the ejector and install a 9mm Luger barrel into a Destroyer Carbine?
Tucson is a long haul from Yuma, but you might check with Harry Lawson Co. in Tucson. I don't know if they could do this, but they've worked on several diverese military rifles for me, and I've been satisfied with their work and their charges.

·
Read Only
4,675 Posts
I've been feeding my Star Super in 9mm Largo with loads on the .38 Super case, using Sierra load data. Same should work beautifully for the Destroyer Carbine....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Destroyer Carbine..................................

Thanks El Bibliotecario and Optimist for useful info!
I am going to contact Harry Lawson Co. about the ejector problem.
I'm even going to ask about rebarrelling it to 9mm Luger/Parabellum.
I just have to find a chambered 9mm barrel blank first.........

·
Registered
281 Posts
No one has mentioned the Win 9x23 except as a source of brass. Good brass, but smaller inside = somewhat higher pressures. Start with low powder charges (not lower than minimum recommended!) and work up until you see signs of pressure (flattened primers) then back off.

Be sure not to use loaded 9x23 Winchester ammo. It'll fit right in, fire, and destroy your destroyer and perhaps some of you that might not grow back. Very high pressures, and likely to break any Largo gun. CB

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Destroyer Carb. .38super.....

Any one out there seen the pics of a Destroyer Carbine that had a slightly cracked receiver and ruined/destroyed bolt? The web-site that had these RUINED Dest. Carb. pics isn't around anymore. I don't remember the name of it. ( about 7 or 8 years ago ) ( it had pics of a blown up M1A, H&R 12ga. 1911 etc etc. ) Some IDIOT took a collector grade Destroyer Carbine to a gunsmith. He had his smith open the bolt face just a little bit to accept the semi-rimmed .38auto and .38super rounds. the .38auto rounds were ok, then he started to shoot .38super, then .38super+P! after a few hundred rounds of the +P rounds the gun was ruined. I wish I had printed copies of the pics of some of these blown up guns to show people out there.

·
Silver Bullet member
261 Posts
I have had this argument over 38 Super versus 9mm Largo with more people than I can count. Their statement is usually "well, I've shot it a bunch of times and my gun hasn't blown up yet". Maybe I'm just a conservative guy, but I don't put rounds in weapons that weren't designed to go there.

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Well there I have to disagree, I had the bolt face opened up just a tiny bit to accept the slightly larger diameter rim, and I shoot 38super (38ACP) in mine. The muzzle veliocity differs only a few fps between them. Plus P is obviously an entirely different matter. But then I wouldn't ream out a .38 spl cylinder to accept a .357 either.

Of course for the purists I devalued the rifle since I didn't like that itty bitty bolt handle either, so I cut it off and had a bolt handle from a chopped Lee-Enfield bolt welded in it's place:D

Had the destroyer out last week, and finaly figured out how to make the cases eject since it has the same problem. , first turn the rifle on its right side and then pull the bolt back, they will fall out.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem with destroyer carbine

Picked up a destroyer carbine at a gun show two weeks ago and after giving it a good cleaning and check over,i took it to the range to try it out.when trying to load it,i found that santa barbara ammo would not chamber because it was to long.cci blazer ammo did chamber.i checked the oal of both rounds and both were under spec.the cci round was the shorter of the two,but i can't understand why the spanish ammo won't fit.i decided to play it safe and not shoot it until i have it checked out.any body have any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Destroyer carbine

It does say 9mm largo on the receiver.the gun is in vg condition.it has %90 bluing,a shiny bore and feels tight.btw the santa barbara ammo works fine in my super modelo.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts