Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,
Two weeks ago I found a 1964 Ishapore 2A at a local gun shop, it was full of black paint and very dirty, it was sooooo ugly I had to take it home!
It took me about 20 hours of cleaning and two coats of Brownells Gun-Kote to make the old girl look good again.
I took it out to the range for the first time today........Wow this thing can shoot! At 50 yards my groups were no more than 1.5 inches.
So now this is one of my favorite guns in my collection:) Who would have known.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

DRAKE

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
i'm jealous..... that's one fine rifle.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't just come up beautifully with a bit of elbow grease, Who would have thought a curry flavoured Enfield could be so much fun.
After taking the black paint off one of mine I found out it was blued underneath , So I had it reblued.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It took me about 20 hours of cleaning and two coats of Brownells Gun-Kote to make the old girl look good again.
I've often wondered about Gun-Kote. What kind of preparation is needed before applying it? How did you manage to get the receiver in an oven to bake it on? What color did you use on your 2A? (It looks like gloss black, but it's hard to be sure.) What kind of durability are you seeing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've often wondered about Gun-Kote. What kind of preparation is needed before applying it? How did you manage to get the receiver in an oven to bake it on? What color did you use on your 2A? (It looks like gloss black, but it's hard to be sure.) What kind of durability are you seeing?

Thanks.
Konstantly,
I took off all the black paint, degreased and lightly sanded the metal with 800 grit sand paper. I had to have my local gun shop take the barrel off of the reciever to get all the pieces in the oven. Satin black was used, it looks gloss because of the oil applied. The durability is fantastic I highly recommend it.
DRAKE

·
Silver Bullet member
28,834 Posts
I vaguely recall that some people had kaboom issues with these rifles (still getting one), but I am wondering if Dennis Kroh's observations are still relevant with this current batch. I quote Dennis below though the actual posting came from a non-Gunboards forum.

A few problems exist with these...

1.) They have 12 round mags which aren't legal to import.

2.) They're not safe to fire .308 commercial ammo in (even in small doses). And, they are likely at the edge of what's safe for 7.62 Nato. I had a long talk with Dennis Kroh about this (owner of Empire Arms, definetly knows his stuff and is a straight shooter).

Here's what he said...

When these first arrived on our shores they sold 20. Out of the 20, 16 developed excessive headspace issues (some after firing only a box or two of commercial .308. So, 16 became wall hangers. He is also aware of one catastrophic failure that caused a serious injury (luckily not from a rifle he sold, but at a local range). Now, to their credit AIM does say use only 7.62 NATO ammo. However, Dennis feels that even this is pushing the limit for these rifles. Contrary to what some say these were not made out of any special steel.

Even if you already have mags I would pass on these. Sometimes one's safety is worth more than a 169 dollar rifle.

3.) One more thing...these being less than 50 years of age...require an FFL 1.

From a post Dennis made...

Actually we neither buy nor sell Ishapore Enfields chambered in 7.62 NATO.
We had done so when they were first imported, but over HALF of the ones we bought and sold during that period ended up with headspace problems that relegated them to "wallhanger" status after firing as little as one box of commercial .308 Winchester ammo in them.

The first sign of trouble was that the extractor broke off and the owners wanted to know where they could obtain a replacement extractor.

Further inspection of their rifle found that the headspace of every one of the suspect rifles (though they had been previously checked by us before selling them) had been stretched beyond FIELD limits and were no longer safe to fire (it was the extreme bulging of the base of the case that caused the ejector to break).

I have personally seen one person (thank GOD he didn't buy it from us) at a local range, get severely injured in the groin after his Model 2A1 Ishapore Enfield had a intense gas-rupture and "let go" when firing it, blowing the loaded magazine under high-pressure out of the rifle and landing between his legs.

This "accident" required major hospitalization and surgery to repair his grievious and painful injury. This guy was so CLEVER that even after the extractor broke-off of his Ishapore Model 2A1 rifle (hello. . . serious WARNING SIGN there. . . ) he continued to shoot it at the range while simply knocking out the empty case after every shot by running a cleaning-rod down the barrel rather than attempt to purchase another extractor!

Little wonder that his wife forbid him from owning even a single firearm after that experience (we ended up buying every gun he owned or will ever own from her).

Nahhh. . . we won't find or sell you one of these rifles. . . we like you too much!

------------------
Denny Kroh, owner, EMPIRE ARMS
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its all BS!

I vaguely recall that some people had kaboom issues with these rifles (still getting one), but I am wondering if Dennis Kroh's observations are still relevant with this current batch. I quote Dennis below though the actual posting came from a non-Gunboards forum.
Fushigi,
I think these guns (2A,2A1) got an unfair shake a few years ago but I have never ever heard of these fine weapons blowing apart... it's only BS.
I still haven't seen any actual pictures or proof. :)
Drake

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've put a few hundred rounds through my 2A1 (about 20 of that was commercial), and I've not had any issues with mine. Granted I'll only stick to 7.62 x 51 from now on, but I'm not worried.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Robus,
I tried to shoot without it but after about 30 rounds I couldn't take the pain anymore! :eek:
DRAKE
When I shot I didn't notice the recoil being that bad. Or course I had just finished firing my MN 91/30......

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've shot my 2A1 a few times and the recoil wasnt much more than the 303's , But it was a hoot to shoot .
That was only after spending about 1/2hour explaining to the range staff that the 2A wasnt just a rechambered No1.303 but a new manf No1. built for the 7.62 .

And that it was safe to shoot and wouldnt do an impression of a claymore all over the range.

pugs..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ka Boom

Ah yes I have been soundly castigated by a ex officer of the ADF and noted marksman for daring to suggest that the approved list of rifles should state that if a rifle is chambered for use in 7.62 not 308 then 7.62 ammunition should only be used.

He told me that the two rounds are similar in case dimensions and projectile weight and are interchangeable, he is correct but omitted the fact that the published and actual chamber pressures for the two are different. NATO spec 7.62 has a lower chamber pressure than most commercial 308 ammunition.

Anyway as we know 7.62/308 has never caught on and even the military is phasing it out, compared with the venerable .303 cartridge its service life has been extremely short.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts