Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a japanese bayonet with frog.. didn't really inspect it much when I was chatting with dealer.. just had a pile of stuff I was paying for.. anyway,,

I get home & see that it is pretty stiff, brittle & a bit crunchy, so I thought I could save it by soaking it up in some leather preservative... you know the stuff that's like vasoline.. and then OH NO.... a chunk crumbled right off... :(

Is there a way to save this, or is it worthless junk now. Certainly don't look good for display on the bayo it came with...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You would have been better off leaving it alone. There's no way to undo the damage...but at least you've learned a valuable lesson. Too many leather items get ruined by folks using a leather "preservative", only to find out they've done more harm than good. What type of "stuff" did you use?

I wouldn't call it worthless junk but it sure ain't what it was.

What bayonet came with it, just out of curiosity? That might make the damaged frog easire to swallow. Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I used Passier Lederbalsam.
The frog was crusty & I thought I could preserve it as it was crusty looking.

As far as the bayonet goes, it was on a Type 30 variation A from Kokura Arsenal .
It was covered in caked up cosmo, but I started wiping it down with paper towels & mineral spirits.. So far so good.. blade looks good, but it stained from who knows how many years in cosmo.. the hilt , quillion & scabbard are all surface rusted..

From the same dealer I also picked up a near mint almost immaculate Type 30 variation C from Jinsen Arsenal as well as a Krag bayo dated 1900 with the 1899 type scabbard.

I am disappointed in myself for destroying this frog.. First time ever I get an original Japanese frog & I killed it...
Hell, the dealer charged me more because it had the frog.. I will NEVER try to clean/preserve a crusty frog ever again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts