Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
230 grn lead (diameter .452) over 13grns of FFFg BLack Powder.
Seemingly it should be FFFFg, folks say I should be OK though.

This is my first custom ammo I made, up until now I've only reloaded 303.
I couldn't find it anywhere, all the untrustworthy Fiocchi is sold out.

I used a 45 Colt case and cut it down to 0.690 inches.
I then expanded the neck, primed and loaded each one.

Please give me some honest warts and all feedback, I intend on shooting this through an antique and would prefer a bruised ego over a blown cyclinder

here are the pix

CIMG0001 by harmoniums, on Flickr

CIMG0002 by harmoniums, on Flickr

CIMG0004 by harmoniums, on Flickr

I couldn't get a crimp done with the dies I used, so I put a light crimp on with a cut down cable crimper, do you think this will be OK?

CIMG0007 by harmoniums, on Flickr

·
Registered
886 Posts
Pressure ought to be okay for a revolver in good shape, given the standard weight of your bullet and charge. Totally uncrimped, the sixth bullet out of the cylinder full creeps out about an 1/8 th inch using a .454" bullet and Fiocchi brass in a WG and your use of the thicker brass and smaller bullet probably is no looser. Your use of the wire crimper is to be commended, and you shouldn't find any creep at all. It should shoot to point of aim. There's nothing wrong with Fiocchi brass except that it is too hotly loaded by the factory for use in a black powder revolver.
.45 Colt brass has a rim significantly thicker than .450 brass, maybe .060" versus .036", and this may need to be trimmed from the top before your cylinder will turn. Or you can use .455 brass shortened in a case trimmer, which would be quite a bit easier, since the rim is the same.

·
Registered
241 Posts
RE:450 ammo

Pressure ought to be okay for a revolver in good shape, given the standard weight of your bullet and charge. Totally uncrimped, the sixth bullet out of the cylinder full creeps out about an 1/8 th inch using a .454" bullet and Fiocchi brass in a WG and your use of the thicker brass and smaller bullet probably is no looser. Your use of the wire crimper is to be commended, and you shouldn't find any creep at all. It should shoot to point of aim. There's nothing wrong with Fiocchi brass except that it is too hotly loaded by the factory for use in a black powder revolver.
.45 Colt brass has a rim significantly thicker than .450 brass, maybe .060" versus .036", and this may need to be trimmed from the top before your cylinder will turn. Or you can use .455 brass shortened in a case trimmer, which would be quite a bit easier, since the rim is the same.
should work fine if the rims are thinned, otherwise the cylinder may not turn.I made mine the same, from 45 colt cases, except i thinned the rims in a Lathe first, before i loaded them.13 grains of FFFG sounds OK to me.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Doesn't look like a .45 Colt case to me, where's the rim?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I loaded some with fffg not a good result. The bullets came out so slow you could see them go down range.
People have told me to use a magnum primer. Haven't tried it yet.
I used standard CCI 300 large pistol primers.
If the bullet comes out that slow, maybe I will be able to capture it with my 240 FPS camera!

heres the revolver they will be shot out of

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.