Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I actually sold one of my precious Mosin Nagants to my nephew. He was talking about how he wanted to mod one out (A thought that makes me shudder!) and asked me if I had an old trashy one I would sell him. Was about to tell him no, but suddenly remembered a long time never got to it project gun I had. I bought it from a Bubba that took a rare American made New England Westinghouse M91, and chopped the barrel to 16inches. Then he engineered some kind of front sight on the chopped up end, cold blued the bolt assembly (And a bad job at that!) and bent the bolt (Also badly) He hand whittled the inside of some monte carlo stock so the Mosin "sort" of fit in it. It cracked the second time I fired the gun......which was shooting 2-3 feet high at fifty yards. Got the gun for real cheap, figuring maybe I could restore it. You ever tried to find a Westinghouse 7.62X54R barrel? I never could. Got an M91 stock for it, but looked stupid with the chopped off barrel. Finally gave up thrying to jeep it original and did find a decent 91/30 hex barrel, but just never got around to swapping the barrels. Anyways he got a gun I didn't have the time or money to restore and since it's already ruined he can mod it out to his little heart's content. Bought the gun for a hundred thirty, spent some money on a 91/30 barrel and M91 stock, but ended up selling him everything and 60 rounds of milsurp ammo for 100 dollars. (He got the family discount. SO I'm taking that money, some birthday money, and will probably buy me a Finn M39 with a Sakop barrel. I already have 2 m39's, one with the "B" barrel, and the other with a VKT barrel. I need one with a SAKO barrel to complete the set.

And oh yeah, I had already bought an unaltered New England Westinghouse so I still have one of those. He keeps his Remington cousin Mosin Nagant company.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Maybe you can teach your nephew a thing or two about historical importance and the beauty of the original design along the way. Sometimes these things just don't automatically click with youngsters.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I don't think I will ever understand people modifying a 100 year old rifle.

I think I will go to an antique mall and get me a turn of the century wicker chair and put some rollers and a raise/lower setting on it for my new office chair.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Lacking any other proof of when it was done, I figure that rifle was probably modified in the 1950's, when sporterizing cheap military rifles was all the rage. At the time, it was maybe a 35 year old rifle.

LOTS of people who 'sporty-ized' rifles back then didn't have the mechanical skills (or the aftermarket parts you can get today) to match their plans of what the rifle was going to end up like. Just like now. If you look, you get to see a lot of REALLY BAD bubba work from the '50's.

It made no real difference to Bubba, though. Bubba probably didn't have $20 all up in that New England Westinghouse rifle when he did it..

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Lacking any other proof of when it was done, I figure that rifle was probably modified in the 1950's, when sporterizing cheap military rifles was all the rage. At the time, it was maybe a 35 year old rifle.

LOTS of people who 'sporty-ized' rifles back then didn't have the mechanical skills (or the aftermarket parts you can get today) to match their plans of what the rifle was going to end up like. Just like now. If you look, you get to see a lot of REALLY BAD bubba work from the '50's.

It made no real difference to Bubba, though. Bubba probably didn't have $20 all up in that New England Westinghouse rifle when he did it..
I'm more talking about the Archangel stocks with flashlights, scope, and banana clip on the 1898 Tulas and suck. :p

·
Gold Bullet member
2,930 Posts
I can't understand trying to swap out a barrel on a Mosin. The barrel is the rifle, not the receiver. When the barrel is kaput, the rifle is kaput. The receiver is basically an interchangeable part in the equation. Your nephew should have at it.

But while we are talking about the Westinghouse, for the sake of determining the serial number blocks of the three main assembly factories, and if you still have access to the rifle (sort of), what is the serial number range and what letter is on the top of the reciever tang next to the rear action screw? It should be a M, H, or E with an arrow attached to the left side. These letters determine which of the three main assembly plants built the rifle. Meriden, East Springfield, or Chicopee Falls Hill plant.Thanks

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Most of the chopped-down Mosins, particularly Remingtons and NEWs, occurred during the Depression when they were converted to cheap "meat rifles" in both the US and Canada, sold cheap to hunt game for dinner. Those commercial chops have a front blade sight that wraps around the barrel with a ring retainer and are often painted black with some super-sticky paint finish.

For what satisfaction it may give, that sad chop-job may have fed a hungry family. The rifles only cost about $3.50 complete with 20 rounds of ammo, but even that was big bucks if you were poor then.

I have a chopped Remington barrel waiting for some sort of build and a few "sp[orter" stocks from rifles I have saved - I have a welded up NEW that I may use if I ever take the receiver off.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
SO I'm taking that money, some birthday money, and will probably buy me a Finn M39 with a Sakop barrel. I already have 2 m39's, one with the "B" barrel, and the other with a VKT barrel. I need one with a SAKO barrel to complete the set.
You would still need a Tikka, a no maker late date, no maker no date, no maker '48, a Puolustuslaitos, a SKY and....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You would still need a Tikka, a no maker late date, no maker no date, no maker '48, a Puolustuslaitos, a SKY and....
I just got a Finn M91 with a Tikka barrel. And two more Finn M39's with Sako barrels. They go with my M24 and M28 with SIG barrels Still have my M39 with the VKT barrel. Looking to find an affordable P26.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
I bet alotta guys here would gladly send 'em an archangel stock for that 91 stock....or a whole 91/30 refurb maybe....

Turn him onto Gunboards, now that he has a Mosin in his hands, might be an awsome place for a kid like him, Mosin in hand and all......

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe you can teach your nephew a thing or two about historical importance and the beauty of the original design along the way. Sometimes these things just don't automatically click with youngsters.

I think I will go to an antique mall and get me a turn of the century wicker chair and put some rollers and a raise/lower setting on it for my new office chair.

Believe me, I've tried to change his mind. But he was raised on the stupid video games where you trick out your rifle. The more doodads the better.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
You forgot the plastic seat cover and gold spray paint it really needs.

(As anyone who restored or collected historic American and British furniture knows, Bubba has done his horrors to some amazing antique furniture as well as rifles - the hippie practice of painting flowers and unicorns on real 18th century furniture treasures claimed quite a few as well!)

i

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.