Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been collecting Mauser 95 and 98 rifles for about 4 years now mostly WW2 98k and 1895 Chilean contract guns. Since I started collecting I had wanted an m96 Swedish Mauser, but every time I had money there always seemed to be another 98k or 1895 available and each time the m96 got pushed to the back burner. Well finally pulled the trigger on an m96 (bad pun...I know) Was browsing the usual places and came across this 1909 dated example. Absolutely fantastic bore, and excellent overall condition. The price was listed at $365 and since almost every other nice rifle I had looked at seemed to be $400 and up I jumped on this one. I foresee many more Swedes to come, maybe a nice carbine next.

Now its matching numbers throughout, but the font on the bolt differs from the rest of the rifle, also the bolt shroud looks to have been renumbered as you can see the old number behind it. Is this of concern, or is this something that has likely happened during this rifles 103 years in existence?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few more pictures

I love the color casehardening on the trigger.

·
Silver Bullet member
7,847 Posts
Nice one!...My first Milsurp (Still have it) 1899 Oberndorf..the start of the sickness : )

Congrats!

·
Banned
10,256 Posts
The bolt is of MAJOR concern - it's humped, and BADLY.

Take it to the Swede forum - they'll enlighten you better. The font used is VERY wrong, and it was also numbered in places these were never numbered!

Also, the stock looks lightly refinished.

OUCH!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I suspected the bolt when I bought it, but since I was buying it strictly as a shooter and not as a collector it didnt really bother me. The stock may have been lightly sanded at some point but if it was, it wasnt sanded much as all of the wood is proud of the metal from end to end and the stock decal is still present though a little beat up.

The price was still $60-$100 cheaper than the beat mismatched rifles they sell at the shows here.

The bolt is of MAJOR concern - it's humped, and BADLY.

Take it to the Swede forum - they'll enlighten you better. The font used is VERY wrong, and it was also numbered in places these were never numbered!

Also, the stock looks lightly refinished.

OUCH!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what its worth, the rifle is am older Century import and while I was at a local shop just a few minutes ago I noticed they had two m96 on the rack. Both were older Century imports and both had "matching bolts" that had the same font as this bolt. Is it possible that Century renumbered bolts to make guns matching before they sold them?

·
Registered
565 Posts
The rifle looks correct to me. These were commonly forced matched by the Swede arsenals. The re-stamped parts are usually obvious and stamped right over the old ones. Unlike the humped Kar98k's, the Swede armorer wasn't trying to scam people.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,197 Posts
I suppose anything is possible as far as what importers might do. Definitely agree with Vulch about the bolt. As far as stock sanding....eh, maybe ? Still...all in all a very nice rifle. Looks like you have the original sling too, cool.
After wrecking your shoulder with a K98, you'll find this one a real joy to shoot. Outstanding accuracy.
Shoot it, enjoy it, post your range results.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard they are a pleasure to shoot and very accurate. The bore on this is pristine and the trigger is like glass. I hope to get my hands on some ammo this weekend possibly and take her out to the range. results will be posted once I do.

I suppose anything is possible as far as what importers might do. Definitely agree with Vulch about the bolt. As far as stock sanding....eh, maybe ? Still...all in all a very nice rifle. Looks like you have the original sling too, cool.
After wrecking your shoulder with a K98, you'll find this one a real joy to shoot. Outstanding accuracy.
Shoot it, enjoy it, post your range results.

·
Silver Bullet member
7,847 Posts
For what its worth..in the early 80's when I got mine it was $89 at the Woolworths 5 & Dime..Not much incentive for CAI to scrub and renumber anything

As an 18 year old with no guidance and no such thing as internet I unfortuneatly sanded and varnished the stock...many years before I even knew what I'd done : ( ...Metal is 100% original, all match but the rod

Still have her..shown here with 2 of my Matching Bayonets:

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Ditto, little reason for the "primary" importer to do any number monkey business and I do not believe they did it. In relative terms, they were buying/selling stuff by the pound, it would have cost them more to pay someone to play with numbers than the bloody rifles cost...... Not to say that numbers didn't get "played" with by some third party later....? Frankly, I believe it's more in the mindset of the beginning collector to make a rifle somehow "better" and alas, as these persons sometimes become dealers they might carry these habits with them.....:-(

As time goes by alas, maybe best to buy from a higher end dealer who has established his ability to sell items that are correctly discribed..at least for the most part.

Is this rifle absolutely right? I have no idea......

Jack

PS. After paging thru "Crown Jewels", I "almost" conclude that the number font proves almost nothing. Different number sets were used at different stations. I find examples of all different fonts used on receiver vs barrel vs bolt vs various small parts.......FWIW

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well so far over on the swede forum they are thinking its ok.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not a beginning collector, and I'm not trying to make this rifle out to be better than it is. As I said before, I bought it strictly as a shooter and suspected before I bought it that the bolt may have issues. If I was searching for a numbers matching rifle or a good collector example I would have either bought it from a member here or bought a book or two first. This rifle was just to see if I liked the m96 rifles enough to give up valuable storage space to for future collecting.

Ditto, little reason for the "primary" importer to do any number monkey business and I do not believe they did it. In relative terms, they were buying/selling stuff by the pound, it would have cost them more to pay someone to play with numbers than the bloody rifles cost...... Not to say that numbers didn't get "played" with by some third party later....? Frankly, I believe it's more in the mindset of the beginning collector to make a rifle somehow "better" and alas, as these persons sometimes become dealers they might carry these habits with them.....:-(

As time goes by alas, maybe best to buy from a higher end dealer who has established his ability to sell items that are correctly discribed..at least for the most part.

Is this rifle absolutely right? I have no idea......

Jack

PS. After paging thru "Crown Jewels", I "almost" conclude that the number font proves almost nothing. Different number sets were used at different stations. I find examples of all different fonts used on receiver vs barrel vs bolt vs various small parts.......FWIW

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,968 Posts
I heard they are a pleasure to shoot and very accurate. The bore on this is pristine and the trigger is like glass. I hope to get my hands on some ammo this weekend possibly and take her out to the range. results will be posted once I do.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Once you've spent some trigger time on the Swedes you'll be hooked.

Take it from someone who is not a Swede collector.....

·
Registered
855 Posts
For the record, not suggesting anyone here especially the new owner of this rifle, is doing anything funny.....

That said, if you wanted "strickly a shooter", you paid too much.

Frankly, I think the rifle is right. At least it would be good enough for me, If I wanted a Swede. Which I don't!

Unless it was a nice 6.5 or 8mm Swede M1892 trial/experimental....:)

Jack

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont really see the price being to high based of the prices they are selling for around here. At the last show there were two that I looked at one a 42 dated and the other 1906. the 42 had mismatched stock and bands with a matching action priced at $475 and the 06 was matching with badly sanded stock listed at $490, before I left I went back to the two dealers to see if I could get the price down and both were sold. So for $365 around here something this nice just doesnt exist. They are selling Russian Capture 98k at shows here for over $550 and they are selling.

For the record, not suggesting anyone here especially the new owner of this rifle, is doing anything funny.....

That said, if you wanted "strickly a shooter", you paid too much.

Frankly, I think the rifle is right. At least it would be good enough for me, If I wanted a Swede. Which I don't!

Unless it was a nice 6.5 or 8mm Swede M1892 trial/experimental....:)

Jack

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Never heard of a humped Swede. Well, not in such away that my credit card wasnt charged by the minute!:sorry:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right now my goal would be to add an m38 and an m94 or m94/14 carbine but I just bought 3 really nice late war 98k so that pretty much used up any play money I had for a while.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Once you've spent some trigger time on the Swedes you'll be hooked.

View attachment 551568 View attachment 551569

Take it from someone who is not a Swede collector.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.