Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hear its very catching. You guys must be careful and not look too long at my photos as you may very well catch my sickness. but i have to post some to wake this section up for our or beloved .22 Mossbergs. I hope you enjoy the pics.
Dave

First up is a Mossberg 144 LSA i picked up two days ago.

Next Up is my Western Auto Revelation 117 Made by mossberg (same size as Mossberg 400)

Mossberg 44 US Property Marked

Next Up my recently purchased Mossberg 400 Palomino

Mossberg 44US

Mossberg 340 at my old place

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Im hoping the pics help others out looking for info

No i dont have one, But i know a guy who does, its not 100%, i think its a 377 or something like that? With a (in my eyes) Hideous thumb hole stock

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oldcarjunkie, could you do me a really big favor. I took apart my 46M to fix a cracked feed tube and decided to take apart the trigger assembly to clean it.
Big mistake, now I'm not sure how it goes back together.
If you could take yours out of the furniture and post a close up photo or two of the trigger assembly I would be most grateful.
What I'm having a problem with is the cartridge elevator spring, not sure how it is supposed to be installed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've seen that video before, but I looked much closer this time and it does show me a few things.
He does specifically talk about the cartridge elevator and spring, although he does not call them that.
I think the spring should be hooked onto the the elevator somehow but it just ain't happening for me.
Perhaps backing out the main screw might help. Something else to try.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,442 Posts
Great pictures of some fine condition old rifles, junkie. I saw them over on Rimfire Central. Thanks for sharing them here. I especially like the stock on your property marked 44.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Some truly great pics. They all look to be extremely well crafted and accurate. man those babies were built. One of my favorites was that 640K Chuckster. Many thanks for showing and you have given me some serious collector interest in these fine rifles.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some truly great pics. They all look to be extremely well crafted and accurate. man those babies were built. One of my favorites was that 640K Chuckster. Many thanks for showing and you have given me some serious collector interest in these fine rifles.

I have a Chuckster as well, but no pics, i might be able to dig that out for some this weekend, I personally hate the sights on that rifle though, i had to scope it for my use. I also have a Marlin in .22mag (forget the model but between the two of them, id choose the marlin)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Took some pics this morning since i have a little time before heading out for fireworks.
Mauser9, i was wrong i have a Chuckster copy cat....
Here is my WesternField M822 Also known as the Chuckster in .22 Mag

Just behind the bolt in this pic you can see where i snapped the Dust cover off. that is the part i referenced as needing in one of my posts above.

Next up is One of my Favorites.. Model 46B (b)

Believe it on not i forgot i owned this little guy till this morning when i dug it out. :laugh:

Here is my Mossberg 46M , Its the only Mannlicher stocked model I still have.

VonRundsted, I hope these pics help you...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Junkie,

Wow, those are great pictures. I think I see the problem. I am putting the parts back on the main screw in the wrong order. The elevator spring should be much closer to the receiver when it is all stacked.
That is going to be of tremendous help.
I'll post when I get it back together, for now it's time for BBQ.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wow those pics got me drooling. The difference in those rifles and the ones today is like night and day. They look like field artillery compared to the tupperware 22s of today. I recall shooting my friends Model 320 I think it was back in the late 60s. which had some heft to it but the earlier ones by Mossberg look even better. Guess it would cost a bit to make em like that today. Thanks again for posting the great pics.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah Mauser9, These old mossbergs were made to last. while there is a lot that didnt survive that was mostly due to miss treating. I bought all of these rifles in this condition within the last 7-8 years. I have automatic searches set up to notify by email when "mossberg .22" gets listed on auctions and sometimes you luck out as i have with cond. A few of them were buy it nows, others were bidding wars, but of all the ones you see there I payed less than 300 each. the only one I payed 300 for was the model 46B (b) that also came with the original scope and mount i have tucked away. There ARE deals to be found out there. I just scored another Model 44 the other day for 190.00 buy it now and 30.00 ship. My plans are to offer it to my buddy who has been wanting one for a while and doesnt really do online auctions. He has a model 42 which i dont have, so he can either buy mine or trade me which ever he likes IF he is interested in the 44 when it gets here.
I have found of all the older .22's of the 40-70's i really prefer the Mossbergs style and build. I think Mossberg was well ahead of their time for build quality compared to the others. The funny part is All of these rifles are older than i am.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks for reply. What I miss today is the deep rich bluing which is missing on todays guns. Guess these touches like real walnut and high polishing bluing are cost prohibitive. I paid $330 for a REm. 700 back in 84 new. Now a BDL 700 lists for close to a grand with Black walnut. You got those quality Mossbergs for a great price. Thanks for showing and hope you enjoy em.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts