Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used this ammo and not cleaned this rifle for months. I have no rust or damage to the barrel. I read in the ammo board that this ammo is highly corrosive and to be avoided. Am I lucky or have I just gotten some non corrosive ammo. It is head marked LC 52 it is berdan primed. I do keep this gun in a safe with a goldenrod. I thank you for any explanation.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If your ammo is some of the bogus LC52 from China, the answer would have to be that the rifle is in a low relative-humidity environment.

The primer compound in "corrosive" ammo produces tiny amounts of the quite-hygroscopic salt, potassium chloride, which, by itself, is harmless to steel but attracts water vapor from the atmosphere to begin a rustfest.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Did M1s have chrome lined barrels?

·
Registered
320 Posts
No.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Darn.

I just bid on a nice looking Inland at an auction website. Looking to have it set aside for next year's M1 Carbine Match up at Camp Perry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know if the primer pockets are crimped?
As far as I remember they were not crimped. They appeared just like American Lake City 52 ammo. They were sold to me as non corrosive, and Berdan primed from China. I assumed they were made in Nationalist China after the war for their American arms.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,572 Posts
I have always heard the ammo was made in Korea. I bought some 15 years ago. Maybe it came to Korea via Red China?? It is corrosive in any event. Clean according and do not rely on luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have always heard the ammo was made in Korea. I bought some 15 years ago. Maybe it came to Korea via Red China?? It is corrosive in any event. Clean according and do not rely on luck.
Roger that Mike

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,517 Posts
carbine

When cleaning an M-1 Carbine, you must disassemble the gun to get to the gas piston.
This is the reason that Uncle Sam mandated that ALL .30 carbine ammo made in the USofA be non-corrosive.
If you have ANY suspisions that this is not origional USGI ammo, strip it and clean it good.
You know the drill. Some French .30 cal is also corrosive. The bogus Chinese c--p is marked LC-52. The US never produced berdan primed ammo.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Really! well if I was shooting Chinese surplus ammo I would definately clean afterwards. I'm not gonna take that chance.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've shot several boxes of that stuff, without cleaning, and none of it caused corrosion."

Yet

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got the same Chinese ammo

I have used this ammo and not cleaned this rifle for months. I have no rust or damage to the barrel. I read in the ammo board that this ammo is highly corrosive and to be avoided. Am I lucky or have I just gotten some non corrosive ammo. It is head marked LC 52 it is berdan primed. I do keep this gun in a safe with a goldenrod. I thank you for any explanation.
Hey Biff;
Several years ago I bought a 30 cal can full of this Chinese ammo for $100. from a guty going to old folks home. It says LC52 on it. I tried to shoot it in a Ruger 30 cal carbine single six, but apparently primers are too hard. They fired OK in my carbine. I noticed they seem "hotter" than commercial ammo.
When I got home I noticed the empties were berdan primed. USA never used them to best of my knowlege. I compared the stamp on Chiinese cases to real USA LC52. The Chinese stamp or font is much thinner than USA font.
I got conflicting answers about whether this ammo is safe, and is it corrosive. I treat all foreign ammo as if it was crrosive, and clean with Windex and then usual bore cleaner. Some guys told me this ammo would blow up the carbine, others said go ahead and shoot it.
I guess it didn't blow up your carbine, and mine seems OK also. Seems some guys said, and you may recall this (I was out of service prior to 'Nam) that special "blow-up"rounds were placedin mag of an AK 47 that was found, then left there, and was meant to blow up gun when next guy pulled the trigger.
I think the Chinese made this ammo for captured carbines, and , maybe thinking ahead, stamped it "LC52" so they could sell it on open market. I remember it was for sale by several surplus ammo companies maybe 10 years ago.
Anyway, OI wanted to e-mail you to tell you you are not alone is haveing and using this ammo.
Please keep me informed on shooting this ammo.
Best regards;
Smokem aka Ed Fredericks Manassas, VA
[email protected]

·
Registered
248 Posts
I belive this ammo was made by the Chinese as sterile ammo. Ammo to be given to Maoists in the PI or other such places where the origin of the ammo was intended to be concealed. I have heard that is the reason the Chinese made M14 copies and 7.62X51 ammo as well. They look like an American rifle or ammo and those given away to rebels in the PI were unmarked or had fake US markings on them. Kept the real origin of the ammo or gun in doubt. Never shot any of the Chinese carbine ammo but I have always heard it is corrosive primed. If you have had no rusting after using it then it is the result of low humidity and or luck on your part. Never heard the ammo is dangerous. There was an articel in the American Rifleman about the AK ammo that was designed to destroy a gun. One round would be put in a sealed tin not in a magazine. The tin would be left in a cache of ammo. There were several documented cases of VC being found after a battle with blown up rifles and dead as a result. It was intended to make the VC think thier ammo was suspect so they would not trust it. The ammo was carefully doctored up so with out taking the rounds apart there was no way to tell it was a explosive round.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Lucky -- if the ammo really is Chinese corrosive.
Sooner or later the humidity is likely to spike . Or the Carbine won't get in the safe quite fast enough. The Carbine gas system was not designed for corrosive ammo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts