Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. Read it on the Curio & Relic forum @ AR15.com. In 20 years of collecting, I had never learned that when the change was made from hex to round receivers, then the receivers went from forged to cast.

If it weren't for Spaxapore, the place would go into the dark ages. I look forward to his input.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Mark,

I know of the topic that you are speaking about. It should be pointed out that the receivers never went to casting. All receivers were forged and milled. That what i believe the user in question meant, and i agreed to his statment about the cross over period from hex to round in 1934-1936. He just misspoke and said "the casting was changed". In realitly the milling process was changed to speed production by making the receiver round.

Thats why that Izhevsk in question with a 1936 barrel has a 1934 receiver it was assembled most likely over left over receivers from before the switch.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
no worries 2k, its all good bro, i knew what you meant. Wasn't until mark pointed out did i realize i better edit my post to highlight the fact its not casted.

Its also good you edited you post - because folks who are not familiar with the production of mosin nagants may think that it was indeed switched to casting during 1936, which of course is not the case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Casting in Spanish is fundición meaning (foundry, smelting, melting, ironworks, forge)
forja means (forging, forge, foundry)

but in German Schmieden means (smithing or Forge, hammer into, mold into)
Gießerei means (foundry, casting, founding, molding)

Being Spanish and German are my first languages, I guess I mixed up the words in my head..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.