Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, distinguished experts...I need your help. I got back my Steyr m95 carbine, but would like to know exactly what I have. Any help or comments are welcomed and appreciated. BTW, I've seen an identical rifle on another website labeled a 95/30.

·
Administrator
9,469 Posts
Karabiner M95/30 Wien 1918 with Czech marks

Short History of your Carbine:
Accepted Vienna 1918 originally.
Taken into Czech service in early 1920s ("S Lion 7" mark)
back to Austrian Service later (early 1930s)
Converted to "S" chambering (8x56R) in Austria sometime in 1930s) Resighted with tall front sight blade.
Given to Bulgaria 1938-39.
Made into "Carbine" only configuration... Check stock for Filled in sling plate under butt, and washer in upper band screw, where sviwel should be)
Stored by Bulgaria after WW II ("Strategic reserve")

Surplussed out 1980s.

proper "designation" (in present condition)
Karabiner M95/30
(may have been a Stutzen-Karabiner if the other sling postions were present originally.)

Bulgarians called them variously "M95 S" or M938 or M939 or simply "Pushka mannlichera" (or karabina mann.).

Viscious recoil and flash, but a fun gun to use. With Milsurp ammo (Austrian (german) or Bulgarian, always treat for corrosive primers...they are very corrosive.

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! One last question...was it always a short rifle, or was it cut down from a long rifle? I've looked hard under the buttstock and I don't see anyplace where a lower swivel would have been, but the upper band screw does have the washer in it where a swivel would have been.

·
Administrator
12,041 Posts
It was a short rifle (stutzen) or a carbine from the very beginning - the front sight is mounted directly on the barrel, and not on a band/ring. When they reamed it to 8x56R a taller front sight blade was installed to correct for the flatter trajectory of the new round.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,539 Posts
Now that you know what it is...get ready for the pain-train! I recently shot my friends' carbine and they do indeed kick like a mo-fo! I'm a bit of a recoil-junkie, but after one magazine, I was done with that little mule!

Enjoy in moderation!

T

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When I owned it before, I shot it once, put 10 rounds thru it and that was enough (and that was with a Shooterpad). At least ammo will last a long time :p I was glad to see that I did a good job cleaning it. The bore looks as good as it did the day I sold it to my friend which was a year ago. He hasn't shot it (I doubt he ever took it out of the case I gave him with it) so it still looks good. I'm going to give it a little going over this weekend...now I just have to find some shooting time!

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
There is probably a error by the assumption of bring back to austrian service in early 30ies, i believe from sources in czechoslovak literature that only minimal amount of Mannlicher rifles and carbines were outsaled prior 1938. best regards,Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts