Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this in early 90's, sold it to a friend about 7yrs ago and just bought it back today, $100. Took a bunch of pics to share.

There is literally no finish anywhere on the metal, except for the extractor. Peened eagles, laminated, red glue I believe, cupped butt. Mismatched bolt, cocking piece, bottom metal, follower and floor plate. Bore is strong but frosted.
Shot it with turk years ago, nothing special, minute of bowling pin.

It would be nice to know more about it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's the first K98 I've seen where the WaA Swastikas on the buttstock have been purposely massacred too. At least to me it looks like they also "peened" off the stock cartouches.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Phosphate Finish

The rifle was made by Gustloff and the "4" signifies 1944. Your rifle was likely a phosphate finish as opposed to the military blue used earlier in the war. Phosphate finishes appear in various shades of grey to grey-green to almost transparent grey. It was a late war finish that was quicker that bluing and got the guns out the door faster. Same could be said about the stamped welded rings and rough metal finishes that were faster than milled and polished parts. The stock is roughly finished as it should be by 1944. The gun looks to be all correct minus the bolt and floorplate. Your gun was a steal at $100, easily worth 4-5X that, especially to someone who likes late war guns. Stock looks like it may be proper, I have learned from a friend that the "f" in the stock lug signifies a "bcd" stock. Also look for a "C" on the underside of the buttstock in the wood which also confirms a "bcd" stock. Only downside is that I see a defaced eagle which hurts collector value somewhat. Definitely a nice late war piece with character.

·
Registered
169 Posts
really a pretty nice gun

Other than the peened swazis, that is a nice gun. I would buy it if you sold it. I am partial to the BCD 4's.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
peened swazzis and bolt mismatch not to mention the stock is not all that great....i seriously doubt it is worth $500. it is a nice late war but in my opinion that estimation is WAY too high.

·
Registered
35 Posts
postban,

Here's a breakdown of what I think about it:
-$100 excellent deal, the rifle together is worth probably 250-300, the parts seperately maybe 350-400.

-It is a Weimar Gustloff Werke, 1944 rifle with serial 6248o. The "o" block would put it in late summer of 1944 I believe.

-Phosphate isn't believed to have been introduced until the very end of 1944 and almost would not show up on a "o" block period rifle (never say never). However, your rifle is not phosphated at all as appropriate and is merely very faded bluing.

-There doesn't appear to be any import markings, so it is probably a veteran bring back from WW2 or an early import in the 1960s/70s. The swastica's are peened in a way that it seems a single person decided they didn't want to look at the swasticas rather than a procedural peening like the Russians did.

-The part I think is pretty neat about it, is that it is what collector's like I call "period correct." The bolt has the proper rebated cocking piece, rough groove on the safety, small hump on the bolt release by the screw, stamped triggerguard, stamped barrel bands & spring, milled floorplate & follower, milled recoil lug, and red laminate cupped buttplate stock.

-bcd4's at this point were a mixture of stamped and milled parts. Throughout 1944 you can see several different combinations of mixed milled and stamped parts. Many collector's believe that Gustloff was using mostly subcontracted parts and merely assembling rifles at their plant (as well as producing the actual barrelled action).

Anyway, despite the peened eagles it's a very nice rifle and worth hanging onto and having some fun with, so enjoy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies and great info.

actually it does have import markings, old style CAI on the bbl

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/98k Mauser bcd4/100_3453.jpg

That is also a pretty accurate image of the finish everywhere on the metal, bare grey.

IIRC I got this from SOG in somewhere pre '96. I was an 01 ffl 93-96. They had a batch of them for $95.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked in the bcd4 serial number study thread above, this one sounds similar to mine;

bcd 4 5109o IO, m/m bolt, stamped except MFP, avk bbl, lam. cupped, lxr stamped follower

My bbl has a "U" on it (pic above) and the gun also has an "lxr" follower.

Would mine decode similarly?
IE;
bcd 4 6248o SOG, m/m bolt, stamped except MFP, U bbl, lam. cupped, lxr stamped follower

·
Registered
1 Posts
Postban,

Glad the rifle arrived!! Enjoy the burlap.

I was the previous owner of the rifle and gave it back to Postban. I had the rifle about 7 or 8 years and never shot it so I gave it back to a friend who will give it the proper love.

I am sure Postban will sell it back to me if/when he tires of it. In the meantime, if I need some 7.92 punishment I can always break out the Turkish Mauser.

Dr. FT

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A few more pics and I found some new marks too. Also It is blued under the wood, very little pitting if any. The bore cleaned out shiny but in the pic it looks weird. Turns out the stock is matching numbered too.

Would appreciate info on the new marks and also what is the lower case "i" mark mean, it is on most parts, always really small too.

What is the little "i" symbol?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts