Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
48,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
White Sleeve Gesture Collar Headgear

·
48,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unrated seaman. Sent to sea without A school, usually dumped into 1st division, get to choose a rating and learn it through an apprenticeship program.
Thanks ! The Navy did not have this when I was in 1966-69.

·
48,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
48,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The Navy is not normally in combat like the Army or Marines, so their training scenerio is quite different. Those that lack the capacity to grasp the technical info in a classroom setting or cannot attend the rating school of their choice are normally sent to the fleet for OJT. It works.
I was in the Navy Sea Bees, 1966-69. So, my current info is very limited. The Sea Bees are trained Naval Infantry, and usually go in with, or before, the Marines in amphibious assault. In WW 2 Seabees were taken directly from constructions crews and given rates based on their experience. So, a person could become even a chief at once. This was tried again in Vietnam. They were IPOs, us that had been in the ranks called the Instant Petty Officers. They were just dreadful in my experience in Vietnam. They sometimes came to VN after only two weeks to get their shots and uniforms. They had not a hint of naval custom, ceremony, and usage. And, it showed. When I went to VN, I had boot camp at Great Lakes, 1 year at Adak Alaska in the Master at Arms force, "A" school, SERE training, and weapons training at Camp Pendelton. I was BUCN (E-3); a carpenter apprentice. We had a barracks inspection by our CO, a former destroyer Captain. I went full out getting my junk on the bunk, starched uniform, shined shoes, and shined brass. The IPOs laughed at me for being a "lifer". When the inspection party arrived and approached the door, one IPO shouted, "Come in. The door is not locked." I froze in disbelief. They were in flip flops cut of pant t-shirts. He and the XO and the yeoman looked at the barracks. It looked like Hogan's goat. He came to me with the XO and I snapped to and reported. he then turned to the XO and said, Why are there 86 men in this barracks and only one sailor ?" He then told me to have the barracks ready for inspection the next day at 13:00. A direct order. I got a lot of flack. The the IPOs were all 3-4 and E-5. They asked me, "Who the Hell does he think he is?" I told them we have less than 24 hours to have the barracks ready for a Navy inspection. If it did not, the senior IPOs would be busted in short order. They were in disbelief. I had a hard time to get them to turn to and get ready. We finally passed inspection. It was a Vietnam inspection and not up to a real fleet inspection. But, we passed. After that, I was always considered a "lifer". I had been in the Navy a tad more than 18 months. But, a few, and only a few, asked me to acquaint them with Navy procedures, and vocabulary. I was dumbfounded. I fault the Navy, and not the IPOs. They were truly clueless. I was happy when their year was up and regular Sea Bees replaced them from battalions.

My next duty station was Argentia, Newfoundland. All were ship shaped, and Bristol fashioned for any inspection. On our change of command inspection, our senior chief gave us a look in the barracks before we even left for the inspection. He noticed we only put on our National Defense medals. He said we were out of uniform. So, we had to put on all of our medals and ribbons from being in Vietnam. We all had a minimum of 5. Some had individual silver stars and bronze starts. I laugh at myself as I had only 2 Navy Unit citations with my medals. I did not know they were equivalent to a silver star and awarded to our little unit. The Navy, at that time, had a penchant for awarding a unit, like a ship. I have no idea what it is like now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts