Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Yes, a lot of NCOs aren't that good- "mediocre", to use Clyde's word. As one officer who served when I did said "The 'Old Sarge who really know his stuff''-how many of those did YOU meet ?" Belittling school training, thinking OJT is a magic word that can produce the same results in a fifth of the time...... Telling a newbie to "watch the experienced guys"-who learned by ....in one book I read about Patton the author made clear his dislike of him but acknowledged that he was professional enough to recognize that trying turn a clerk, a cook, a truck driver into an instant infantryman swelled the casualty rosters but achieved little else.
In WW2 honor graduates of many course-electronics and aviation, e.g-were immediately reassigned as intructors, that allowed for expansion of various schools and ensured they were taught by the best and the brightest.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
It was said of David Beatty's much vaunted-and overrated-Battle Cruiser Fleet that "they did their target practice on the enemy" and as he acknowledged "There's something wrong with our bloody ships today-and with our bloody system."
In Vietnam-and Korea-so many of the Army's problems were due to assigning non-infantry trained GIs as riflemen. sending them into combat with weapons they'd never seen before. Relying too much on OJT mechanics-"If a part doesn't fit, you need a bigger hammer." And the old standbys of "Not my school MOS" and "Doesn't understand the manuals."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts