Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I arrived aboard my ship which I had been waiting for three weeks. I was transfering from boot camp in 70 degree balmy weather. When I left Great lakes it was about -20. Was told at revilie I would report to #1 engingroom Ambient air temp went from about 80 Degrees to to about 120 130.I was told I would be training with the messenger of the watch. So for the next few weeks O was his shadow and how tp take reading off the reduction gears, high and low speed turbines. So that was my first introduction to standing watches on a navy ship. In due course I sould become a qualified messesenger, Then onto training for lube pump man. There were a few other watches I would also have train on but didn't find them very difficult to learn. Don't make the mistake that I didn't know what I was doing. the pracitical expenience came. Remember the old saying" ten hours of sheer boredom followed by seconds of sheer terror.In less than a year I was qualified to stand all watches all unrated sailors must stand. You must remember that machinist mate and boiler tenders were critical ratings. It meant that there were not of us to go around. I usually pickup things quickly so asorbing info was my strong suit.Frank

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
When I was in if you were going for a certain rating you usually had a small propeller (machinist mate). Arkmenedies turbine for Boiler technicians, Got out in late '67 so been out of the loop. Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts