Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen this crest, before, the rifle is a CZ Mauser, anyone know where this crest is from?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The crest on that rifle i in great condition. The few that I have see are usualy quite worn. IIRC there where only 4000 Guats made which makes them fairly scarce.

Vlad

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
That Quetzal bird is hard to miss.
They chose the Quetzal because it can not be kept in captivity, even raised from a hatched chick it will die in a cage, so it was chosen as the nation symbol of freedom (it's also on their currency).
Just thought I'd mention it, first time in more that 20 years since my buddy from Guatemala city told me the story I've had the chance to share it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
favorite crests anyone

I've been thinking about this since I posted this, what are peoples favorite crests?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Guatemala

If you're in possession of that "free bird", hang onto it. I ran into one at the Tulsa show 3 years ago and declined because the bolt was mis-matched...the seller was asking $250 for it. I guess it's as close as I'll ever get to one. Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I put up the picture of the crest, because it was on a rifle that was
up for auction on gunbroker. The rifle had been sporterized and not very well,
the barrel was replaced by a 20 inch commercial barrel. The stock had been
chopped, bolt rewelded, and a Lyman 57 sight mounted on the receiver. I had never seen the crest before and thought it looked kind of pretty. I thought about bidding on it, but the price climbed up quite a bit above what I was willing to pay.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Here are some photos of an intact all matching Guatemalan.

·
Silver Bullet Member
127 Posts
I have the brother to this rifle....

I happened across a VZ24 in a group of rifles I bought...I got it home and noticed the hole in the end of the barrel was too small to be 8mm...as it turns out it is a Brazilian version of this rifle. Not as pretty as the one in the pix. Someone was saying it was rare as well. I can't remember if it has a crest on it or not.

ND

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
All 4,000 in USA

Odds on all of the 'splendit Quetzal' crested VZ-24's are here in the US. Half or more of those were rode hard and put away wet. Under the wood pitting is common. I have a m/m example on the rough side of good condition. A few lucky folks have pristine examples.
gil

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guatemalan Mauser

Gentlemen
Looking at your pictures of your Mausers is just wonderful.
I have been collecting military rifles for 30 years but recently got the Mauser itch and I am learning more and more each day from you gentlemen.
This forum is like the old country "Party Line" from the past, it's great just listening in on your information.

Thanks from a new guy.

Albayo

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guess I must be one of the lucky ones -- mine is essentially mint; metal, wood, & bore are as issued [all matching, of course]. Seller did not know what he had, so I "stole" it. A real centerpiece of S. American mausers which will never leave the collection. -- Dave

·
Registered
283 Posts
Guess I must be one of the lucky ones -- mine is essentially mint; metal, wood, & bore are as issued [all matching, of course]. Seller did not know what he had, so I "stole" it. A real centerpiece of S. American mausers which will never leave the collection. -- Dave
You're too damn lucky.:mad:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
We had a BEAUTY back in 2006 . . . twice!

We sold it to a customer (a prominent GUNBOARDS poster) who traded it to another GUNBOARDS poster, who then traded it back to us. The bolt wasn't matching, but then again they almost never do (a result of how they were stored with the bolts removed).

They really are very elegant and extremely well-made rifles. . . this was the finest example of the type I had ever seen.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We sold it to a customer (a prominent GUNBOARDS poster) who traded it to another GUNBOARDS poster, who then traded it back to us. The bolt wasn't matching, but then again they almost never do (a result of how they were stored with the bolts removed).

They really are very elegant and extremely well-made rifles. . . this was the finest example of the type I had ever seen.
You mean to tell my you let this fine rifle leave your possession twice? :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts