Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fuzzy little man peach
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my other Mauser is on the shelf until I can find a way to fix the current stock I am going to shoot the one in the sportered stock. Or so I thought. I checked to make sure there was no set back ,I learned my lesson with the other one. The action sat perfectly in place, with no movement.

I fire five rounds and they are scattered all over hell. I fire the sixth round and the front action screw breaks off and falls into my hand. There was no set back, so what else can cause action screws to break?

I noticed that the screw was going in tighter then usual the last time I took it apart. A chunk broke out behind the receiver ,well two chunks actually, the last time I had it up to the range. Since I checked for set back I figured it may have just been a fluke.

So now I have got two rifles, and two action screws that are in tact.

·
fuzzy little man peach
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using 1942 Turkish. I've heard the Turkish stuff was hot, but goddamn. One rifle snaps a screw due to set back, the other snaps one for a reason I can't begin to comprehend.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Bro. the solman dont even shoot turk. unstable. there is a dude who posted on the 'net the velocitys. man. when i was younger i was tryin to make a '06 out of a 8x57 power wise, and i lost my headspace trying. (150s at 2900+) and some of them turks go over 3000 fps. also if you pull em, there are at least three! different kinds of bullet.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
i've never heard of anybody having any rifle related problems whilst shooting Turk 8mm. split necks and such on the ammo, sure, but nothing on the rifle breaking :confused:

i shoot turk in my turk, and it's great. i get some split cases and sticky bolt syndrome, but it's actually pretty accurate and i've only gotten one dud out of a couple hundred in this batch.

·
fuzzy little man peach
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a couple split cases, bolt sticks some times, but other then that no problems. Until now that is. I've fired about 500 rounds of Turk through my BYF 44. No problems except for the occasional dud. Now it's snapping action screws left and right.

Something definitely ain't right.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
hey it ain't like i haven't shot it. Ive shot a case and a half. but search the net as i said before,,, and there's a guy who chronoed it and did a decent study on the turk milsurp year by year. i just shy away from it cause its maxed out. gotta be. some of them were up around 3100fps. the maus wont 'blow' but that's some pressure I'm sure.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't suppose you could let me know what the headstamp is on that Turk ammo? I've got several bandoliers of 8mm, and if memory serves me right, I was told it's Turk.
I've had issues with the 1940 run. Lots of torn cases and wild performance. It seems to show up on strippers clips in olive drab bandoliers at the local gun shows.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
hey it ain't like i haven't shot it. Ive shot a case and a half. but search the net as i said before,,, and there's a guy who chronoed it and did a decent study on the turk milsurp year by year. i just shy away from it cause its maxed out. gotta be. some of them were up around 3100fps. the maus wont 'blow' but that's some pressure I'm sure.
nah, I wasn't going "pooh pooh" at your post or anything, I was just saying I haven't heard of any rifle problems myself. if shooting turk is going to destroy the rifle, I'd sure love to know...but it has always been my understanding that large ring Mausers were more than durable enough to take even the hot Turkish ammo.

I will not claim any expertise on this subject. this inquiring mind would like to know....for the sake of the ~2500 rounds of various Turk I have stockpiled :(

PS: one thing I can say for sure is that those bandoliers are damn nifty, and I love them. the early brown ones are my favorite

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.