Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Gunsmith
171 Posts
I have never understood why people place bids when the auction is days from ending. Seriously, it will not do you any good and it just drives the price higher. Oh well, its their money. Rather a dunce move if you ask me. Wait until the final minutes.
If the options are place bid/make offer and there are no bids, I'll throw one bid on it so that the make offer option is removed. Then I'll wait until the last second to place my actual maximum price bid.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Every time I saw some wood work I brought it. Hoader, yes according to a friend of mine on this forum I am. It is a disease, even now if I see a cheap rear top wood (10aud) I buy it. I don't need it but I buy it. I brought a repo MarkI in the photo as I am restoring two Mark I forends, one a two band and the other a single band rear top wood. Two of the sets above are new (unissued) 1944 dated wood sets with matching butts. You just never know when a 1945 Lithgow may come up.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I see the crazy prices on milsurp stuff in Oz,and I am just plain suspicious.......some here know the characters who are mixed up in boosting prices for this stuff here.....its just a sucker trap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you consider the fact that whatever rifle this woodwork is applied to it will in reality be non matching I would rather purchase a full reproduction set from Prestigious Wood Stocks based in Canada that come with the inlet for volley sights .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still 8 days to run on this auction in Australia, maybe it wont go much higher but it’s already a handsome amount. Considering there is not the interest in English rifles here, it must be going on something special to someone.
View attachment 3902174
Walnut post mid-1915? There is no dial sight for the Mk III furniture shown. Doesn't look like Lithgow wood so is it Pommie? Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys this is in Australia, it totally makes sense. It's darn hard to find any firearms in Australia right not, let alone parts/accessories. Australian customs stops gun parts, accessories, etc so people can't just order this stuff online. So what's in the country right now is what's available, if there isn't one for sale at the moment, it sells for a lot more becauseof availability. Pretty much all military collectibles cost a lot more there, even replicas of certain items can get as much as the real thing. It's a restrictive country, so you take what you can get living there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I didn't know any better I'd say it was the stock I sold someone about a year ago. I advertised it on Ebay as well; I only wanted @ $400.00 for it, just to cover costs on another project. If you look at the slight rise just before the barrel band ( in front of the rear sight ) it uncannily resembles the 1919 BSA Siamese contract rifle that I bought as a donor rifle. I cleaned up the timber and metalwork, did not "restore " anything, and then handed in the totally shot out, corroded, barrelled action, minus butchered Lithgow mismatched bolt,to the police. Got me in heaps of hot water, as in Tasmania, you are not allowed to strip rifles for parts to build up or restore another one. Officially it has to be done by a gunsmith, although we all know people who do it and just keep it quiet.

Maybe the buyer decided to cash in on the ridiculous prices they want for this stuff. Piece of history for sure, but worthless as a collectors piece. Kind of annoying too, if this really is the stock I sold in good faith to a budding collector jus to get him started........

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If I didn't know any better I'd say it was the stock I sold someone about a year ago. I advertised it on Ebay as well; I only wanted @ $400.00 for it, just to cover costs on another project. If you look at the slight rise just before the barrel band ( in front of the rear sight ) it uncannily resembles the 1919 BSA Siamese contract rifle that I bought as a donor rifle. I cleaned up the timber and metalwork, did not "restore " anything, and then handed in the totally shot out, corroded, barrelled action, minus butchered Lithgow mismatched bolt,to the police. Got me in heaps of hot water, as in Tasmania, you are not allowed to strip rifles for parts to build up or restore another one. Officially it has to be done by a gunsmith, although we all know people who do it and just keep it quiet.

Maybe the buyer decided to cash in on the ridiculous prices they want for this stuff. Piece of history for sure, but worthless as a collectors piece. Kind of annoying too, if this really is the stock I sold in good faith to a budding collector jus to get him started........

The seller has commented on another forum, when a similar question was raised :

Hi Guys,
Funnily enough the stock set is my eBay listing!
I'm as shocked as you guys, I put it up expecting to get less than what I payed for it (that being $550) as it's just a spare I had and needed some money to fund buying a Lebel.
Does anyone know why it has skyrocketed soo much? I feel like I did a fair job explaining its condition etc. Worried that the to bidder will pull out and I would have lost all the other interest in it!
Anyway, for a younger collector such as myself that is some serious money that I can spend on some new rifles lol so I can't complain as long as the buyer is happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Still 8 days to run on this auction in Australia, maybe it wont go much higher but it’s already a handsome amount. Considering there is not the interest in English rifles here, it must be going on something special to someone.
View attachment 3902174
I'm seeing similar behavior on Gunbroker recently. People are bidding ridiculous amounts on old black powder cartridge pistols. Even the small Rohm .22 caliber pistols are going for $150-$200 USD. I have two and got both for under $100 USD and they both work fine. I sometimes wonder if some do not know there is a big difference between black powder cartridges and modern smokeless cartridges. Sorry if I "got off into the weeds" but I sometimes wonder why some appear to have more money than...well you know.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts