Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up at auction at a price I really didn't expect to win it for (less than the average refurb 91/30 in the current market). It's a well-worn 1893 Tula M91 that is both [SA] and D marked, as well as marked on the butt with a Civil Guard number, which is faint enough that I initially missed it in my examination. So faint that I wasn't able to get a solid picture of it — it looks like S 122031.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

The dog collars are practically fossilized, and it seemed like I'd damage them if I tried to remove them. Interestingly, the rifle is not import marked, nor is the rear sight renumbered in the usual Finn fashion. The handguard does have a crack in it, but it seems stable enough.

Revolver

I'm quite happy with it, especially for the price. I also got an excellent deal on a MAS 36 at the same auction.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,120 Posts
Congrats! I like seeing collectors show interest in Finn Mosins. Or rather, seeing the gradual decline in interest in Finn Mosins makes me sad.

Long before Gun Boards there was a small but truly dedicated core group of Finn collectors that coalesced after the Century imports began arriving by the container load. They were a driving force behind The Military Rifle Journal in the late ‘80s. In the mid to late ‘90 those Finn collectors led by Tuco/Brent and Vic made Gun Boards into the best C&R site on the internet.

I often wonder what happened to all those Finn Mosin collectors, think about time slipping away, and the gun guys who have passed. And that’s why seeing someone evidence a little of the Finnish Mosin passion like the old days makes me happy.

Congrats on your new rifle!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Nice score, maybe I should start looking at local auctions more often!

Richard in NY: Raoul and I are both younger collectors and my main collecting interest is Finnish rifles if that makes you feel any better, I also know a couple other younger local collector friends who like those dirty old Finns...there is still hope!

I especially enjoy them at the range, Finn's are great shooters

·
Gold Bullet member
13,120 Posts
Nice score, maybe I should start looking at local auctions more often!

Richard in NY: Raoul and I are both younger collectors and my main collecting interest is Finnish rifles if that makes you feel any better, I also know a couple other younger local collector friends who like those dirty old Finns...there is still hope!

I especially enjoy them at the range, Finn's are great shooters
That’s good to hear! I hope you guys have good luck finding your next Finn treasures! :) 👍

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Very nice rifle you have there mate

I must admit I was all about Soviet Mosins and didn't pay the Finnish rifles much attention but since I acquired my Finnish-captured 91/30 (pot-belly stock and SA/41 marked) my interest is shifting, as is my interest in M91's.

Trouble is over here in the UK prices are higher and M91's and nice Finnish variants aren't as easy to come by as Soviet refurb 91/30's and carbines.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Very nice rifle! I look forward toa range report if you decide to use it.
Richard in NY,
Both my son and daughter have a Finn rifle each, and enjoy shooting them...."Into" the history. :)
(We have a "Winter War" shoot each year, in January.)
I have four Finn rifles, and think the history adds So much to their value. (in my eyes anyway!)
One needs showing on this forum, but needs some over-all photos taking first. :)
Thanks for the picture of your rifle, Raoul!

Best,
Richard.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,120 Posts
Very nice rifle! I look forward toa range report if you decide to use it.
Richard in NY,
Both my son and daughter have a Finn rifle each, and enjoy shooting them...."Into" the history. :)
(We have a "Winter War" shoot each year, in January.)
I have four Finn rifles, and think the history adds So much to their value. (in my eyes anyway!)
One needs showing on this forum, but needs some over-all photos taking first. :)
Thanks for the picture of your rifle, Raoul!

Best,
Richard.
:) 👍

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
I am all in favor of you buying more as long as you keep the exhibition going. Here in the middle of Podunk, Taxsylvania there are rarely any offerings anymore.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
That's a beauty and an antique to boot! Pretty darn nice for 127yrs old I would say; you did great getting that one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice! Funny, I just acquired a Finn reworked Tula M91, dated 1893 this weekend myself. Didn’t get such a deal on mine though. Mine has the beefy Finn spliced stock, with Finn swivel hangers. I like yours in the Russian stock.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Very nice! I also had a 1893 Tula at one point. This one I rescued from Bubba. When I got it, it had no front or rear sights, and the bases were milled out of the barrel. It turned out nice in the end, and I later sold it to a friend. Nice find, I wish the one I had was Civil Guard marked, I would have had Martti look it up and get the info on it!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Century did not import stamp the antique barrels (even when they had non-antique receivers!) so that is normal. It would have been imported in the mid-90's. This is the 16th known 1893 dated Tula, nice find.
Was that just in the 90's? I had an 1894 Chatellerault with the serial number added to left side of receiver and small import mark towards muzzle end, this would have been early 2000's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.