Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my second and newest T-38 Carbine, which provides stark contrast to the beat-up T-38 Carbine Vietnam trophy I had.

I think regrettable though the modifications may be, at least it's good workmanship. Whole gun, on all metal surfaces, is that level of detail. Cost somebody many packs of cigs Over There, or many dollars back home to have it done up. Bore's darkish but very strong. Cost me $370, which is a little steep, but I really liked it, especially since last year I was in line at the gunshow behind the guy who'd inherited and sold it to the dealer I bought it from this year.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
You're forgiven, that is incredible ingraving.

How about showing the rest of the carbine, along side your plan jane!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,329 Posts
Bubba definitely was not involved with that one. Nice engraving and stock work!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, here's a few more pictures. The stock's nicely checkered and monte-carlo'ed, but the wood strikes me as fairly plain. The front sight's grooved on the sides for a hood, I think.

Whole thing's nice, and I can't stop playing with it. Next time I'm at the gunshop, I guess I'm gonna have it checked for caliber and plonk down my wallet for a couple boxes of ammo.

Also, I can't wait for Albacore to see this. I called him from the show saying "I bought a bubba'ed jap" just to screw with his head, since he knows me and knows I know better.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the other pictures. It has the original barrel and should be 6.5 caliber unless someone reamed the chamber out to 257. Have it checked before firing it. I noticed that it is drilled and tapped for scope ring bases.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,876 Posts
That bubba was highly skilled. Nice rifle. Somebody spent a lot of time and money on that rifle. I probably could not have left that one behind myself. Good price.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Based on the style of engraving, I wonder if it was done in Japan or over here? Tremendous amount of skilled time to do that kind of work.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Thanks for the full picts, very nice carbine. The wood is a little plain, but looks very well done.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Based on the style of engraving, I wonder if it was done in Japan or over here? Tremendous amount of skilled time to do that kind of work.
I was thinking Philippines. I've seen alot of great work that was done there during the Vietnam war. A lot of vets pulled R&R there.
Nice work!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Engraving

The work is what I have always know as "deep relief" engraving. It is really pretty. I would suggest putting a much nicer stock on it, classic style, with steel butt plate and grip cap. A really nice rifle now.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That is beautiful, I sort of like the simple stock on it tho.Absolutely lovely carbine,wish it was in my collection...Dave

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
You wonder why anybody bothered back when they were worth 10 bucks.

I have some stuff that came from a guy who spent a long time in Japan, including a real nice T99 sporter.
Some have engraving, but not like this. It was relatively cheap to have this done there through the 60's.
Bubba never got near thisn.
I have never seen anything even remotely like this coming out of VN.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts