Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back, I was unimpressed with this little Bulgarian Makarov that I bought in the early 2000's for around $180. It was not at all accurate, lots of light strikes, and I just wasn't really into it. I actually took it to a gun show in the hopes of trading it + some cash for something else. I'm really glad nobody was interested enough to offer more than $100 for it.

I replaced a few parts and last time I took it out, no problems whatsoever. It's still not all that accurate, but it's definitely improved and I wasn't having my best day either. The landscape of Makarov imports has changed so much since then and I would guess I'd have to pay nearly twice what I did for it now if I wanted to get another or replace it. It has now become one of my "will always keep" guns.

Just thought I'd share a little success story here since it's been a while since I posted here.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is in a lot better shape on the outside and I have 3 magazines (apparently, those things are gold-plated because they're absurdly expensive now). Wish I'd bought a few more back when I got it.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know your situation but what I found is that ammo makes a big difference on accuracy. The Hornady hollow point ammo worked out to be the most accurate for myself although for others it's different. Next what I found for improving accuracy on the Makarov are the sights. Short of installing 3 dot Novak sights, a little florescent paint on the dovetail and front post makes lining up the sights easier and more repeatable.

Glad you didn't sell your Bulgarian. I don't even know off hand how many I acquired when I was actively collecting but I will never sell any; they are just too nice to sell.
Me too--really glad in the end. I kind of wish I'd bought a couple more, but I only buy what I'm going to shoot.

This was Silver Bear. It was accurate enough, but for some reason I was putting everything on the left that day. Maybe due to the fact that I messed up my knee a couple weeks ago and I was compensating for it, babying it, and it still hurt. Doesn't matter, though--had fun. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.