Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
That's a super fine Hitachi. If I would have knew about the auction you would not have gotten it so cheap. Congrats. When I bought mine in 2013. It took 49 weeks to transfer. So yeah you'll see it in 2018 more than likely.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very nice gun!

Congratulations! but it will be a long wait, the NFA states that waiting times are running 8+ months these days & after you take possession it will be another waiting period to get the OK to reactivate...

I sure wish they'd streamline the process...

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
That's a beauty! About the nicest wood I've ever seen. Mine took 9 months in 2013-14 to transfer

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy, this was from Wednesdays Auction in Florida at Centurion Militaria Auctions. They gave very little information on the weapons, 15 dewats. All that I could tell are very light dewats with mainly weld in the chamber and very little on the receivers. Nothing on the outside of the weapons. The subguns for the most part went a lot higher than I would pay. All are C&R weapons, and I believe I bought an original ZB26 at an extremely good price. It has the Rampant Lion on the receiver accepted by the Czech military I believe in 1938 or 1939. It is a little hard to be sure with the photo.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CollectR,
I bought a few weeks ago 4 adapters that allow you to fit $30 German magazines to the receiver for 7.7 Japanese or .308 from my understanding. I figures once I spent the money on the adapters, that the Type 99 would go way to high. I went a couple bids higher than my ideal buy it price, but feel very good overall considering that it comes with the scope. I also like the wood and overall finish. I would like to one day to collect a type 92 Heavy machine gun.
All I lack to have all the weapons that my Granddad's Heavy weapons company 1st Cav carried into combat in the Jungles of Luzon is a Browning BAR. Monday I bought at the Julia Auction an original 1945 Firestone Tire and Rubber Company 60mm Mortar. All I lack per his descriptions is the type 92 Heavy machine gun to have all the firearms that the Imperial Japanese Army fielded against them. His outfit could call on 4 105mm Howitzers from their base, but so could all the companies.

Tribrothers

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Tribrothers, Congrats on the purchase, very nice type 99. FYI, I purchased a type 99 similarly deactivated a few years back, the barrel had a weld plug in it, with the barrel lightly welded to receiver. It took 2 trips to Knob Creek to find a magazine and a replacement barrel. The replacement barrel had been dewatted by drilling a hole in it and driving a pin in. Jim Langley drilled this out and pressed in a type 99 rifle barrel. I sent the type 99, magazine and barrel to Ohio ordnance works for reactivation. IMHO, they did a great job, headspacing the barrel. Total bill was like $800, including shipping back to me. Runs like a top.

Hope this helps and good luck with the project. Takes lots of patience, but u will have time to look for parts waiting on nfa branch.

William

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks William, Ohio Ordnance reworked my Maxim 08/15 before I bought it 12 years ago. They did really nice work and it runs like a top.

William if your welded barrel is not a numbers matching to your type 99, I would be interested in possibly buying it from you.

I looked at a lathe and mill this week. If not this set, I plan on getting another in the next year. I enjoy machine work and there are parts for my 3 Japanese machine guns that I would like to reproduce over the next 20 years. As a master plumber, I am familiar with a lot of options to repair or replace chambers that are not much different than mechanical work in plumbing. Like drilling out the chamber, threading it and screwing in a plug. Then you just drill and ream it into the chamber that you want. I once bought 50 Chezch VZ24 8mm Mauser barrels for 90 cents each delivered from CIA. I have plenty to practice on before working on something unique.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
30 Posts
I rebuilt a type 97 tank gun for a customer about 25 years ago and it was an interesting project. He was to cheap to buy the original mag. for it but he did have a case of Bren gun mags. and I had to make those work. It was a real pain but
at long last I did make them work but I wouldn't recommend anyone do it if you don't absolutely have to.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Do not drill out the chamber and put in an insert. Set that thing up in a milling machine or run it through the hole in the bottom your drill press, put in a center cut and mill to remove most of the world. The weld will be no more than a quarter of an inch. Then take a Dremel with the carbide cutter cut the rest of the weld. Order a carbide finishing reamer with pilot from Pacific tool and gauge. This will finish out the rest of the chamber. If you have any weld on the face, again it can be clean by placing a stone inside your press and cleaning up that face with the hauling stone and cutting oil. I have re-why did many barrels this way and never had one that did not work. You will have a little bit under cutting inside the chamber from the weld, But the chamber will be smooth from the finishing ringer. This will not affect the extraction of the brass or damage your brass for reloading. I'm not saying we have never done this before but I have reworded several barrels this way and never had an issue.
If you like, I can do it for you. I have re-watted my T89 and t97 tanker and t99's for customers.
I am a union electrician. Nice to know you're in the mechanical trades. I mainly Have done industrial work my entire career. Mostly in the steelmill.
Take care and good luck. Nice piece
Andy

·
Registered
875 Posts
Andy........my daughter is electrician out of Local 317,Huntington, WVa. Her pipe fitter husband, 51, recently died of lung cancer...yes, he was a smoker.

tribrothers....I realize you have a way to go to get to needing a mag, but.......I just completed two of the MG13toT99 mag conversions. Fired both with 7.7 reloads... The adapter is advertised here in WTS: section. I had to make some mods on the space between the mags feed lips as were too close together for the bolt to pass through. I also shortened the somewhat stiff spring, I can get 22 rnds in. Not sure that one couldnt shorten it further, may get 25 +. Original mag. springs are really soft........

Rewat barrel.......I have 2 barrels in .308 along with the original 7.7 barrels. One has a screw in chamber insert. Other, I cant tell how it was done, both are std length. I had another that was shortened to accommodate .308.; gas cyl., carry handle & retaining slot all moved forward. I suppose one could do the same with a welded barrel that couldnt be salvaged to orig. spec. The bore size didnt seem to make a difference for function, bullets may drop dramatically over longer ranges.

Jap guns....... check these out.............doubt all "grunts" would have encountered these.

PJH

T-99s w/MG 13 mags adapted.

German MG 81z, upper; Jap T-100, lower gun........

Jap gun service position.

Jap. Type 93, 13mm; Hotchkiss design..... I have an extra DShK wheeled mount I had thought to adapt this gun to....tripod here is display only.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Phil
I see you finally found a drum mag for that twin T 89 you have. Looks real good.

Triboro I did not know you need a mag. I have one I can sell if you're interested. It's not cheap. Just leaving idea April Creek I sold three of them for 2K each. This magazine very good plus the excellent condition. Even has a little cotter pin on the bottom of the magwell

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heckinohio, First, I am sorry to hear about your Son in law. My Dad had a major stroke at 49 with smoking being a major factor. He lived 32 years with severe brain damage. Second, you have some wonderful Japanese weapons in your collection. I read your experience in adapting the German magazines with the adapters that you posted in the machine gun forum. That is when I decided to buy four of them. I figured that I could always resell them if I didn't buy a type 99, but luckily I was able to purchase the above one.

Andy, I will keep it in mind. I have pretty well spent my budget unless I hit something big this year work wise. I have been decreasing my work with tools as I transition into income producing properties.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
That's a good move. That's what I have done early on in my working career to offset the downtime in construction. I have several rental properties myself., Commercial buildings and vacant land.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that is down right scary. I had my first rent house at 24 and first commercial property at 27. You may remember that I went through the surprise Christmas divorce from hell 8 years ago that cost me $52,000 in legal fees. Everything that I built was worse than worthless per her continual mockery. I came out of the divorce with all the rental property and land, she got the house and contents less my things and my complete gun collection. She thought it could be used against me, but I came out with better custody and asset wise than 99% of the Dads in our county. She has blown everything she has even though she has a huge salary. I could retire today other than I want to get my youngest Son through college that she doesn't pay any child support. He refuses to see her the past 4 years. Everything that I have touched the past 6 years has turned to gold. I formed a plan at that time to become debt free. I sold a commercial building that I really wanted to keep. I sold it for 600% more than I had in it and carried the note at 7%. I made huge cuts, sold some other things from my collection and lived small. I have been blessed with more than I could have dreamed and I am now debt free. My machine gun collection is now double what it was prior to her filing. One saving grace is that I don't drink, and I haven't gone crazy chasing women and blowing my money on them. I have seen many lose everything by jumping into a new marriage hoping to gain back some sense of family. My three Sons are my true blessings.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Now I see where you get tribrothers from. Your three sons. Tribrothers
I don't own a thing. The trust owns everything. So if I get divorced or sued The trust cannot be touched. The only thing I own out right are the cards that I drive. If they were in the trust name, and I was to get in a car accident, they can sue the trust. I had a trust set up long before I got married or even met my current wife. Which I hope will be my first and last wife. I seen too many my buddies and family members go to bed divorces. Glad to hear that you came out smelling like a rose. You know what they say, grass grows green near the septic tank

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.