Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
508 Posts
Is that one of the hardwood reproductions from Poland? If so, I have one as well and it took a LOT of fitting work to get my action in. I am at work at the moment but hopefully later today I can upload some pictures of just how much material I had to hack away, I think it was up to a half inch in some places. One trick I used to tell where the problems were was to coat the bottom of the action in an obnoxious color of cheap craft acrylic paint and try to lower the action in while its still wet. Wherever the gun transfers the paint is where binding is happening. Hopefully I can elaborate more later!

· Registered
508 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted out! I'll add my stuff below just in case somebody else gets one of these and finds the same issue. I mostly used a dremel and a metal grinding bit which I found worked very well, despite it not being for this purpose. Other tools included various sized chisels, files/rasps of various sizes, and a belt sander.

Ok, have a bit of time now to elaborate... here is a picture of the finished product to maybe give you some motivation lol
Plant Wood Natural material Grass Air gun

Here are a few images of areas I removed. The worst spots were at the rear of the receiver on the little foot where the rear-most screw goes, the front curvature of the magazine well, and the area above and through the recoil lug. These areas are the ones where I removed the roughly 1/2" material. The roughness/chatter was cleaned up later, but here is before I did so:

Wood Composite material Asphalt Metal Road surface

Wood Road surface Asphalt Bumper Automotive exterior

Brown Wood Rectangle Road surface Asphalt

Road surface Wood Asphalt Wall Bumper

Wood Door Household hardware Tool Tints and shades

Musical instrument Wood String instrument Folk instrument Asphalt

I had similar issues with fitting the magazine well/trigger guard and ended up lengthening that area forward and recontouring the bottom of the stock. The forend also needed some recontouring to fit the reproduction front band I used, and had to remove material on the handguard front end, and inside the belly of the stock to allow the cleaning rod to line up properly with the cleaning rod catch. I also had to drill the hole for the front band spring.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Although my rifle originally had the recoil lug laying flat in the stock, I had to orient the recoil lug vertically in order for the bearing surfaces to work. It wasn't correct to the manufacturer, but it is something that was done. Otherwise, the recoil lug position would be too far forward to allow the action to sit in the stock. I figured this was easier than cutting in a new recoil lug position and filling in the old one, which wouldn't have looked very pretty. Another important thing... the wood used seemed to still be "green". Because I removed the finish and then used a campfire to add some artificial aging/darkening to the stock imitating old oil stains and to bring out the grain pattern, the stock actually shrunk and shortened slightly. Then I had to lengthen the magazine well again. I guess I basically kiln dried it at that point.

Anywho, I still need to do some patchwork around the recoil lug were I re-cut the channel inside the circle since I changed the orientation of the lug flat. It looks like a + sign at this time as shown above. Otherwise, I think it works pretty good. I think I only paid around $130 for my stock, so I didn't mind having to do a little legwork. If any of this is unclear or you want me to address further, please let me know!

· Registered
508 Posts
The cuts you’ve made look almost identical to what I had to do. I’m probably right there at the end as far as fitment, but the trigger guard already has a massive gap where the it should fit into the stock. I think I’m gonna shelve this for a little while. This thing is just straight up hideous. I told the seller his reproduction had me mill out at least 40% of the work and that was unacceptable and he blocked me.
Sometimes we just have to know when we're licked. Always a good idea to try again later if you feel frustrated... it happens to me more often than I'd like to admit. Whenever you get around to it again, feel free to PM me if you'd like. Or if you manage to grab one of those Fox stocks that would save the headache lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts