Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John buys a 97 or 99 sniper with a mismatched scope. Joe has the scope that matches John's rifle. The scopes are in equal condition. In a scope trade so John ends up with a matching rig, what would be your idea of a fair trade, scope and how much extra money for John to give Joe?

Friend has the scope of a rifle that has been reported, rifle's current owner unknown. Friend would trade scopes, assuming other scope is equal to his for $500, Fair? Low? High? How much does a matching scope add to the value of a sniper? On a 99 it's easy enough to fake numbers on the back plate where the rifle number is stamped. Would you pay extra for a "matching" 99 sniper?

·
Gold Bullet member
13,860 Posts
Doss, I would pay more for a matching 99 sniper if I felt sure it was not a fake number. It sure would be nice to have a scope that is zeroed to my rifle. One of my t-99 shoots 7 feet to the right with its mismatched scope plus about 4 inches low. Another is only about 4 inches right and 1.5 inches low.

I have been there on the trade/matching scope rifle thing. I am not sure what is the amount the lucky guy who gets the matching set should have to poney up. I ended up with an extra Nagoya sniper bolt, a rod, pod, and muzzle cover.

I do not think there is a hard fast answer to how much. That would have to be the amount that the two people involved agreed to and what makes both happy. $500 sounds like a reasonable starting point. JMHO.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not on the subject, but after years of bitching about my rifle collecting my late wife Susan supprised me with a 97 Kokura sniper one Christmas in the early 90s, $800 which I thought was high. It had a Nagoya scope and shot dead on. A friend had an extra Kokura scope and we traded, not sure where it hits with the Kokura scope, but not on the target. Know they can be adjusted to the rifles, 2.5 power anyway, but haven't shot in years and doubt that I ever will, unless someone comes into the house uninvited!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,860 Posts
I know somebody offered that they could zero the Japanese scope to a given rifle but I can not recall who it was. I put it out of my mind because you must send the rifle and the scope to this guy to get it done. I hate shipping these things anymore than I must. As you pointed out, they ain't getting no cheaper. I remember the first t-97 I thought seriously about buying. It looked will used, even a bit ugly. It was about 1995 at the NGD show in Louisville. Price was $895 and Richard Croisser had it. I thought it was overpriced for the condition. Wish I would have sprung for it.

On the thread about the $6,000 t-99 sniper, that seems high now but just wait. It will seem cheap in 5 years or less. Look at the price of 1903A4s and M1Ds. Many push the $6k and the Ds are common. There were 28,365 A4s made. That is nearly as many as all Japanese snipers period. Yet they are bringing about $4000 average for a refurb.. CMP wants $2400 for a scopeless M1D(highest grade). A scope will fetch near a grand. I recall when $1500 was high for a resale on an M1D in minty condition and complete with all CMP paperwork and packing. A complete one from CMP was less that a grand. It ain't gonna get any better on prices.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was an article in a back B'ZAI on "zeroing" the 2.5x scope. You have to make a special tool with two "****" to fit/loosen the ring on the front, then rotate the lense, tighten fire, etc, until it's zeroed. Thought it was in the sniper book, but did not see it. If someone can ID the issue maybe it can be posted as "another" Sticky.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Adjusting the 2.5x scope

I remember the post on adjusting the zero of the scope. It involved rotaing the front element as you said, seems the lense was ground at an angle resulting in the point of aim moving in an ellipse, thus when rotated the 'adjustment' took place.

It didn't seem difficult, but would take a lot of ammo; unless you use a collimator to get close first.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,860 Posts
Totally interesting. If you guys find it, please post it. I thought it would require moving the reticle. Sounds more like zeroing a ZF-41.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Regarding the cost/value question; I would think $500 a reasonable figure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts