Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to my friend Galen, who may have miss this one, there was a report of the first legally shot Canadian Buffalo of the 20th century (hunting did not open since 1893) in the Ellwood Epps 1960 catalog.
The kill was performed by Mr Alan Dawson, with a Ellwood Epps Custom HVA 1640 in caliber 30-06, shooting pre-production 200 grains bullets, the rifle was bearing a a HVA action fitted with Canadian-Made barrel, walnut stock and bullets.... Here's some pics.

One more glorious achievement in HVA history.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"...delivers this fine trophy for Mr. Allan Dawson of the Globe & Mail..." says the article.

:eek: Can you imagine a journalist from (Mayor Miller's) Toronto admitting in print these days that they're a hunter/gun owner?

The other detail that dates this article is the choice of calibre. A 30-06 for BUFFALO? Surely you jest. Any sane hunter today needs a .375 H&H or a .416, although you might find the odd "retro" wacko with a 45-70 or .405 Winchester.

:) Stuart

·
Registered
120 Posts
Actually if you know where to hit them a 6.5x55 would work,maybe even a 257 Roberts or even a 243.
:D Sez the proud owner of a(nother) recently-acquired 9.3 x 57! Hmmm... that'd work just fine on buffalo, too.

:) Stuart

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They say, on an other page, that New York movie maker Roger Barlow "had a bad time with his trophy, wich charged the party twice before succumbing to 13 bullets from .338 and .375 magnum rifles (sic)."

So, as we all know, that's all about shot placement. I know for sure a .285 grainer downs a big bull in one shot.... without having to shoot twice...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had forgotten about that! :D I love those old Epps catalogs. It has been a few years since I have been in Canada, but always remember the times I have spent there. One summer I worked at a fishing lodge on Lake Wabaskang and bought a Swedish Mora hunting knife at the Hudson Bay trader in Red Lake.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Merci beaucoup och tak tak so mycket, Baribal.

Great post!!

Guns of the past.

I wonder why the rebarrel?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
LeeSpeed;

Probably not a rebarrel. Husqvarna sold just the actions or barreled actions along with the complete rifles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They say, on an other page, that New York movie maker Roger Barlow "had a bad time with his trophy, wich charged the party twice before succumbing to 13 bullets from .338 and .375 magnum rifles (sic)."

So, as we all know, that's all about shot placement. I know for sure a .285 grainer downs a big bull in one shot.... without having to shoot twice...
They are an interesting animal. A friend of mine raises buffalo. We drove a pickup out in the pasture to look at the bulls, and he warned me not to get out of the truck although I had figured that out on my own.

The bulls are BIG (wood buffalo sub-species) and they ooze hatred and attitude when they look at you. They are wild animals in captivity, not domesticated by any means.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, Epps was one of Canada's well known custom gunsmith.
The store still exist, they still do some custom work, and still sell HVA and Swedish Mausers on a regular basis.

As you can see below, at less than 60.00 $ for a HVA bare action, they were not that cheap, when you know a complete 3000 Crown Grade rifle was 147.50 $ CDN.

Even wood Buffalos sure need lots of space and it's really not the animal one wants to meet in a corner..

·
Registered
371 Posts
They are an interesting animal. A friend of mine raises buffalo. We drove a pickup out in the pasture to look at the bulls, and he warned me not to get out of the truck although I had figured that out on my own.

The bulls are BIG (wood buffalo sub-species) and they ooze hatred and attitude when they look at you. They are wild animals in captivity, not domesticated by any means.
The Woods are not all that bad,compared to the Plains. Neither are very mean until you introduce females into the herd. At least they won't stomp you into the ground like Dairy and certain Beef breeds will. Been around cattle for years,raised Bison Bulls before the divorce. I'd sooner be around Buffalo any day.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well, all this talk about bison got me thinking and I bet SBHVA would like to try a hunt with his HVA double rifle or maybe his .500/.450 BP Express rifle. Where's rudybolla? Do you still have any big bore HVA rollers? You didn't send them all to North Dakota did you? I know a herd of 100 just over the hill from me.:D;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
If that herd don't have anything interesting in it Kriggevaer,let me know. I've got a good friend a couple of hours from you,who'll have a couple nice bulls I'm sure.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The Woods are not all that bad,compared to the Plains. Neither are very mean until you introduce females into the herd. At least they won't stomp you into the ground like Dairy and certain Beef breeds will. Been around cattle for years,raised Bison Bulls before the divorce. I'd sooner be around Buffalo any day.
I also grew up on a beef/dairy farm with Holstein and Angus bulls and various other breeds around. We pastured bison and helped the neighbors with their bison.

Holstein bulls are nasty, but you expect it. They normally give warning and likely will false charge before they actually nail you. The bison are not so apt to give warning, they come once with the real thing.

Bison certainly will stomp you when they get excited, which is about every time you have to mess with them. Probably my experiences with bison differ from yours because I was mostly involved with them during unhappy periods of their lives - weaning, transporting, vet work, etc. They don't take to any degree of handling.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, all this talk about bison got me thinking and I bet SBHVA would like to try a hunt with his HVA double rifle or maybe his .500/.450 BP Express rifle. Where's rudybolla? Do you still have any big bore HVA rollers? You didn't send them all to North Dakota did you? I know a herd of 100 just over the hill from me.:D;)
There are huntable numbers of wild buffalo in northern Alberta. I started putting in for the draw last year. Maybe a few years to build up priority in the draw, and the 9.3x62 could get some real exercise.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
That does sound like just the setting for some great pics. My double leaning against the side of a large bull while I try to hold up the head ....... :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'll see what I can do.:D I'll be bwana backup with the .358 NM, but you have to help field dress the darn thing.;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm sitting here reading a great post and seriously thinking the ole' 9.3x57 needs to be introduced to a freezerfull and a throwrug...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, Galen,

After reading the above about Roger Barlow, I don't know if a 358 NM is enough in a U.S. buffalo hunter's hands... Unless you have a 13 shot mag! (lol!)

Steve, show us some of your smokin'swede pipes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts