Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago there were some questions here on the forum about the labels stamped on the 1900 action series Carl Gustaf rifles manufactured by FFV (Förenade Fabriksverken). According to Stuart Otteson in his book The Bolt Action, Vol. II, the reason for the different markings was due to the agreement worked out between Husqvarna and FFV during purchase negotiations in 1969 which was that the Husqvarna name had to be phased out within 10 years of the purchase date. Otteson cites three labels used in the early years of FFV production: “FFV-Husqvarna”, “HVA-Carl Gustaf”, “Carl Gustaf (Husqvarna)”. These labels were used by FFV in the marketing of the 1900 series rifles in the first few years of production by FFV. Although this is total speculation, I suspect FFV wanted to continue stamping HVA and Husqvarna on the rifles for brand name recognition, but it does add a little confusion to things for us now.

Also, Otteson relates that FFV ended the use of Tradewinds and Smith & Wesson as the American importers and set up their own importing branch in the USA called FFV Sports, Inc. in 1970. In 1975 FFV Sports, Inc. was abandoned and Stoeger Industries took over importation of the rifles, but it was also in 1975 that FFV ended production of the 1900 series. Otteson notes that the last of the FFV 1900 rifles were shipped to the USA in 1977. Surprisingly, the reason given for ending the 1900 series rifles was that FFV could not make a profit off of them, although Husqvarna did not have that problem. It was also in the 1975-77 period that FFV began building the Carl Gustaf 3000 rifles which used the German made Sauer 80 action, stocks made in Italy, and barrels made by FFV in Sweden. Supposedly, the Carl Gustaf 3000 was intended for the Scandinavian market, but I have seen two of these rifles here in the USA, but I do not know how they arrived here.

So, the different labels used on the Carl Gustaf 1900 series rifles probably do not have a lot of importance, however, I write that cautiously, because the Carl Gustaf 1900 production run is not as well known as the Husqvarna produced rifles, in terms of serial numbers and possible modifications during the Carl Gustaf production run.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,455 Posts
good info

kriggevaer if memory serves me right your 99% correct in your research, that is what i found out 13 years ago in my article research, i might add that they could not make a profit with 3000 competing against their on products at lower prices, here or Europe against 1900's, and with others having others names on their own past products .
and i have a 3000 new in box 3006, with new in box carl gustaf rings- that is a few numbers off one of the new products advertised in a gun mag sweepstakes.
import billings new York, i think again from memory moved closer to import docks.
have had new in box grade 2 with hang tag , name of finisher / checker a few numbers off, same name - hang tag of a higher grade model i keep.
was an adv-id collector of Gustaf at one time early in my life very good info my friend-
i have more to learn, questions and haven't in 30 years found clear information in all this.
wish a factory worker or foreman from the days gone by was on this site

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish we had some of the old timers here also Daniel. Unfortunately, time does move on and at the least our favorite subject's protagonists are 35 years in the past and beyond. I know a while back I tried to track down some folks in Sweden and sadly, they had all passed on. And, particulaly in the Scandinavian gun world, a lot of the gun makers and people involved in the firearms industry just didn't keep very good records or any records at all. But, part of the fun of this Husqvarna collecting hobby (avocation?) is doing the digging and research to try to find the answers for today's questions.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,455 Posts
your so right my friend.
i use to send copied info all around the world to "seekers" as us.
but looking for that Jewell of info is what makes gun shows the most interesting thing i do and the gun boards of coarse.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Otteson also states that the Carl Gustaf 1900 rifles were sold "in England under the Holland & Holland logo". That is an interesting side note. But, there is no indication whether the rifles were actually stamped with the Holland & Holland logo, or if they were just sold through Holland & Holland agents/dealers.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tak Umimmak - so they were engraved by Holland & Holland. Are you in Grønland og Danmark now?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, had to move back to Greenland in order to get a job! I actually teaches english to adults now! Among the good things are that I brought my HVA and that gunlaws are very few here, and there is plenty of game and nice eskimo women!

So I try to compensate with plenty of hunting and target practice!

·
Silver Bullet member
53,455 Posts
torulleq----good site for fragmented bits and pieces of info- the 1900 add stock reinforcement bolt through the stock.
mod 3000, saure actions 80 90(200) 4000 Short actions-- translation is full of b.s. propaganda to sale products. but said engraved or stamped holland holland.
even had the Italian husquvarna over under shotguns that i have never seen a picture of.
the prices i could not interpret-- but compared known prices to known models i was familiar with, to see the higher numbers.
lots of mistaken info too or misinterpreted info.
thanks i was on it over an hour.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daniel, Hunters House is a good web site for bits and pieces of info, as you noted and they have been known to stretch reality a little bit, but they are one of the biggest gun dealers in Denmark, so you will see things on their web site that we don't see here in the USA. The continued labeling of shotguns with the Husqvarna brand name has intrigued me for some time. I have also seen recently made pump shotguns with the Husqvarna name, but I believe they are made in Turkey, not sure though.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,455 Posts
what was in a name is now a game!

names of manufactures use to be labels of pride back by family traditions, heritage's---but the last 20 + years its a label of money / investments,profits build on the back of products old reputations no longer true to the quality and pride.
thanks friends

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a FFV 1900 shot and regulated by Holland & Holland, 13 Bruton St. London. It is in 7mm Rem Mag. I just bought it recently and it came without the bolt and trigger group. Any idea where I could find those? I've check almost all the common parts houses and I have written to Zoli, USA and as yet haven't heard back from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which model is this? I found this one in unfired condition and decided to buy it just because I liked the look of it without knowing much about it. Blueing was 100%, bore and bolt lugs still had shipping grease on them, no mars in the bolt valley from the bolt being worked, no scratches or dents in the stock, the only thing I couldn't find were the box and hanging tag. I had to give $450, hope I didn't pay too much.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,455 Posts
maybe a grade two? best gun money can buy.
i have many......$1000+ new in box tags, literature...cal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Learned Gentleman,
I am trying to locate a complete bolt assembly for a .308 Model E Husquvarna/Smith/Wesson.
Any info and ideas are most welcome.

Redcedar

·
Registered
6 Posts
lars,
i do not know.I just got it and have not done homework yet.
Serial # 330561 with full Schnabel stock. FYI: it's unfired!
I coundn't pass it up sso now i'm bolt hunting.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Redcedaryup serial number in 330XXX is definitely in the S&w rifle number range...yours could be either action...do you know how to tell difference between the two action types?

·
Registered
113 Posts
look at post above with pics of S&W model E

redcedar
does your rifle match the pics/action type of the S&W in 308 posted in the post before this one?
your serial number puts it at the end of one type and possibly beginning of the second type of action.
it is most likely an HVA mauser style action...not going to easy to find one of those...if it is 1900... you may be in luck....sell me the rifle if it is a 1900 action type...
lars

1 - 20 of 29 Posts