Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.....been shooting Husky military rifles for a number of years...(38's mostly)...now I am looking at some Husqvarna shotguns...M51 or an M20...does anyone have any info on either of these guns?.....quality, durability etc...I am thinking it would be an interesting hammer gun for some casual SASS shooting...any info would be appreciated..thanks in advance...:)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I found an underlever 16 ga Bubba made into a "coachgun" and rescued as a $50 antique wallhanger :D. Tight on face and mechanically fine, seems like it is excellent steel and quite durable. High on style points but overall very sl o o o o w. I only do it as a lark and wouldn't recommend it if you're a competitive shooter. Very light and points like my 29" underlever, but I wouldn't buy one and chop it down for CAS. Too light, jumps with light loads, slow to cycle, may have some collector value some day. It is cool blowing smoke with BP loads though. Sarco may be able to sell you a cheap one that's tight on face with dinged barrels if you're set on chopping one.
For clays they mount, point, and swing, well, they just feel GOOD! Just have to hang on to the barrels to get your 2nd bird 'cause they jump.
Allan Schisel lists several places you can get 2 1/2" & 2 5/8" low pressure shells.
http://europa.meccahosting.com/~a0000ae7/aaresult.php?PageId=68
I've ordered shells from Polywad and they're very good loads. http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/
Golly, now I wish I'd transferred that low pressure shotshell thread.

I don't own a Model 51 but others here can steer you. A 12 ga 2 3/4" chambered one should handle "Featherlites" (the 12 ga Win AA, 24 gram low recoil/low noise, CAS shooters love) without a hiccup. Been wanting a 51 and a 20 ga roller.
Have fun with them.

D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks...

thanks for the heads up..$50.00!!!!!.WOW.!!!
I don't think I'd cut for cowboy stuff.... the longer barrel doesn't really bother me.....I am so slow as-is, I need a lot more than a shorter barrel to improve my times!!:rolleyes:
I guess my only concern would be finding parts..although the side plate on the 51 looks like a Penn. squirrel rifle!! and that they are a well made gun...but I don't think I have seen a poorly made Husqvarna..
All that said...it is the way the 51 and the 20 LOOK!!..lol....loooong way on style points for me..(but then, I carry a S&W HE 2nd model in the field..lol) and yes, I was thinking of blowing some smoke with b.p. loads....:D
thanks again...:)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Then have at it and blow smoke!
The locks are unique. Heavy, quality steel. Sarco will probably have locks or parts guns from the junkers left over.
The 16 ga are such nice little guns. You really have to mount and point one to appreciate just how natural they are.
Dennis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts