Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all from Texas! I am new to this forum.
I recently purchased a Husqvarna Shotgun Model 20B with a Lefaucheux action. Made in 1945, can anyone tell me anything about this beautiful gun? Can it shoot modern loads? Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

It was originally chambered for 65mm shotshells. Some use the 67mm with no problems too.
Some were rechambered to 70mm.

Kent / Gamebore makes loaded 65mm ammunition and distributes it all thourgh the States. Sellier & Bellot and Nike/Fiocchi make 67mm shotshells.

With that class of shotguns, use "old english shotguns" ammunition and everything will be nice.
I have one of these 20/B, in unfired condition. I also use a 1904 mod. 20 16 ga 2 1/2" in wich I shoot black powder (Gamebore) cartridges for grouse hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum.

It was originally chambered for 65mm shotshells. Some use the 67mm with no problems too.
Some were rechambered to 70mm.

Kent / Gamebore makes loaded 65mm ammunition and distributes it all thourgh the States. Sellier & Bellot and Nike/Fiocchi make 67mm shotshells.

With that class of shotguns, use "old english shotguns" ammunition and everything will be nice.
I have one of these 20/B, in unfired condition. I also use a 1904 mod. 20 16 ga 2 1/2" in wich I shoot black powder (Gamebore) cartridges for grouse hunting.
Baribal Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Tim

I'm new to these Huskys too. I purchased a Model 20 16 ga. about 2 months ago. Sent the barrels to Mike Orlen to have the forcing cones lengthened and the chokes opened(all these guns seem to be choked full & fuller). I've been shooting low-pressure (below 8000 psi) reloads in mine both 2 3/4 inch fold crimped loads and 2 1/2 inch roll crimped loads. Had so much fun with the Model 20 that a couple of weeks ago I got a Model 17 in 16 ga.

Rick

http://alleghenymountainwanderings.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is a site that gives a lot of info on old Husqvarna firearms. These underlever guns are based on LEFAUCHEUX designs of the 1870's. Husqvarna made a pinfire version beginning in 1877. Later versions were made up to 1946. As far as I can see, all were made with 65mm chambers. This is not a problem as short ammo is marketed. Reloading is not a problem as I have re-discovered a method of reloading cases cut off to 2 1/2 inches with my MEC GRABBER.

cut off shells to 2 1/2 in.
load normally, but use a shorter plastic wad, or a suitable fibre wad column
place an Over Shot card on top the shot so that about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of case remains above the O/S card.
run the cases through the 1. crimp start; 2. crimp; and 3. crimp finish stations of the press.

The result is what I call the JAM ROLL crimp. The O/S card will be visible through an 8-point star pattern. NiklasP tells me that it is properly called the HARTIN crimp after an earlier inventor of the system. Whatever! They work quite well in my 12 gauge m20, and I am working on the 16 gauge using a MEC 600 Jr.

Alternatively, use Magtech brass shells which are all 2 1/2 inches long to start with.

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
Use a chamber guage to check the length of the chambers. A 2 3/4" shell will fit a short chamber, but there won't be enough room for the shell to open up completely. This can cause an unsafe rise in chamber pressure. All Husqvarna hammer guns were originally made with 65mm (about 2.5") chambers. Don't shoot 2 3/4" modern shells in 65mm chambers.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Guppie;

The 2 1/2" will completely chamber a 2 3/4" shell. As said before, don't shoot these into that chamber.

a 2 1/2" chamber will (usually) completely swallow a 3" shell. If you put a 3 1/2" shell into a 2 1/2" chamber, the head should protrude of about 3/8".

A 2 3/4" chamber usually will almost swallow the 3 1/2" shell (leaving only about 1/16 to 1/8" protruding).

While this is not the correct way to proceed to chamber measure, it's the easiest way to make yourself an idea. If in doubt, see your local gunsmith.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts